|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)|
|Developer(s)||Adeline Software International|
Time Commando is an action-adventure computer and video game developed by Adeline Software and published by Electronic Arts in Europe, Activision in America (United States and Brazil), and Virgin Interactive (PlayStation version) and Acclaim Entertainment (Sega Saturn version) in Japan.
It was originally released for the PC on July 31, 1996 in Europe, United States and Brazil, and was later ported for PlayStation and released on September, 1996 in Europe, on September 1996 in the United States and on November 15, 1996 in Japan. A Sega Saturn version of the game was also released in Japan on March 5, 1998.
Time Commando was re-released for modern computer systems on January 6, 2012 by www.gog.com.
The game takes place in the near future, and the military, with the help of a private corporation has created a computer capable of simulating any form of combat from any point in history. However, a programmer from a rival corporation infects the system with a "Predator Virus" that creates a time-distortion vortex, which threatens to swallow the world if it is not destroyed. The player controls Stanley Opar, a S.A.V.E. (Special Action for Virus Elimination) operative at the center who enters the vortex to try and stop the virus.
In order to accomplish this, Stanley must combat various enemies throughout different time periods. These eras are Prehistoric (featuring cavemen, saber tooth tigers, and cave bears), Roman Empire, Feudal Japan, Medieval, Conquistador, Wild West, Modern Wars (World War I and supposedly World War III), Future, and finally, inside the main computer (Virus World) a showdown with the virus.
As the player goes through each level, he/she collects various weapons exclusive to the time period. Stanley has a small life bar that grows larger further into the game, when the player picks up life power-ups. Along the same lines, Stanley has multiple lives. As the player plays through a level, a time bar, which counts down time until the virus completely takes over and the player dies, slowly fills. This bar can be emptied by depositing computer chips collected throughout the levels in various "orb pools," which resemble the vortex Stanley first entered.
In each time era, Stanley is able to use five weapons unique to that era:
- Prehistoric: Rocks*, bone knife, club, spear, giant club.
- Roman Empire: Dagger, gladius, sling*, trident with shield, battle axe.
- Feudal Japan: Fans*, shuriken*, katana, dao, fireball*.
- Medieval: Morning star, sword and shield, longsword, crossbow*, parchment*.
- Conquistador: Sabre, halberd, flintlock*, macuahuitl, blowgun*.
- Wild West: Revolver*, shotgun*, Winchester rifle*, dynamite*, dual-wielded revolvers*.
- Modern Wars: Revolver*, Enfield bayonet*, AK-47*, hand grenade*, RPG (rocket propelled grenades)*.
- Future: Laser pistol*, laser gun* (attached to Stanley's left arm), yo-yo, atomic grenades*, Spacesuit.
- Virus World: Crystal stars*.
- The asterisks " * " denotes this weapon has a limited number of uses (i.e. until ammunition is depleted).
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2011)|
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2011)|