Timeline of the September 11 attacks
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The September 11, 2001 attacks timeline is a chronological list of the major events leading up to, during, and immediately following the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington that day. All times are given in EDT, or UTC –4.
- 1970: One World Trade Center completed.
- 1973: Two World Trade Center completed.
- c. 1988: Osama bin Laden founds al-Qaeda.
- 1993: World Trade Center bombing.
- 1995: Operation Bojinka is discovered by Manila police on a laptop computer in an apartment after a fire.
- 1996: The Taliban, a radical Islamic movement, takes control of Afghanistan.
- 1998: The 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania occur.
- 1999: Indian Airlines Flight 814 hijacked. One passenger dies while the others are released.
- 2000: The USS Cole is bombed in Yemen.
Main article: Planning of the September 11, 2001 attacks
- 1992 - Mohamed Atta arrives in Germany.
- 1994 - Planning on Operation Bojinka begins in the Philippines.
- 1995 - Operation Bojinka foiled, Said Bahaji and Ramzi bin al-Shibh arrive in Germany.
- 1996 - Marwan al-Shehhi and Ziad Jarrah arrive in Germany.
- 1997 - Zakariyah Essabar arrives in Germany.
- 1998 - Recruitment of terrorists in Germany starts.
- 1999 - Hamburg cell is fully formed.
- 2000 - 2000 al-Qaeda Summit in Malaysia, pilots head to the United States and train in flying schools.
- 2001 - Remaining hijackers go to the United States, Zacarias Moussaoui goes to the United States and is arrested, other cell members flee Germany.
- 2001 - Financial support.
September 11, 2001 timeline for the day of the attacks
Main article: Timeline for the day of the September 11 attacks
- 7:59 AM: Mohamed Atta boards AA Flight 11 which under his control will crash into the World Trade Center.
- 8:18 AM: AA Flight 11 is taken over by Mohamed Atta and other hijackers.
- 8:46 AM: American Airlines Flight 11 crashes into the World Trade Center north tower between the 93rd and 99th floors.
- 9:03 AM: United Airlines Flight 175 crashes into the World Trade Center south tower between the 77th and 85th floors.
- 9:37 AM: American Airlines Flight 77 crashes into The Pentagon.
- 9:59 AM: South Tower of World Trade Center collapses.
- 10:03 AM: United Airlines Flight 93 crashes into a field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
- 10:28 AM: North Tower of World Trade Center collapses.
Rest of September
Main article: September 11, 2001 attacks timeline for September
- September 13: The 'Star-Spangled Banner' is played during the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. Russia observes a minute's silence.
Further information: September 11, 2001 attack memorials and services
- September 14 to September 21: Worldwide stock markets plummet.
Further information: World economic effects arising from the September 11, 2001 attacks
- September 15: CIA director George Tenet presents the Worldwide Attack Matrix.
- September 20: George W. Bush announces that the USA is at war.
Further information: U.S. government response to the September 11, 2001 attacks
Main article: September 11, 2001 attacks timeline for October
- October 1: Rudy Giuliani speaks to the United Nations General Assembly.
- October 7: U.S. Attack on Afghanistan commences.
Main article: September 11, 2001 attacks timeline beyond October
- March 2002: The Tribute in Light project begins.
- September 2002: First anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks are held throughout the world, particularly the USA.
- "Complete 911 Timeline" - Provided by the Center for Cooperative Research.
- "White House whitewashers" (written 27 September 2001)
- "Attacks prompt widespread closings" (written 11 September 2001)
- Barter, Sheila, "How the World Trade Center fell". BBC