|• Total||8,697 km2 (3,358 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 census)|
|• Density||79/km2 (200/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 256 or (+40) 356|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-TM|
Timiş (Romanian pronunciation: [ˈtimiʃ]) is a county (județ) of western Romania, in the historical region Banat, with the county seat at Timișoara. It is the westernmost and the largest county in Romania in terms of land area. The county is also part of the Danube-Kris-Mureș-Tisza euroregion.
The name of the county comes from the river Timiș, known in Roman antiquity as river Tibisis or Tibiscus.
In 2000, it had a population of 684,506 and the population density was 79/km².
In 2011, it had a population of 683,540 and the population density was 78/km².
- Romanians - 85.52%
- Hungarians - 5.43%
- Roma - 2.23%
- Germans - 1.3%
- Serbs - 2%
- Ukrainians - 0.91%
- Bulgarians - 0.8%
- other - 0.7%
This county has a total area of 8,697 km² (3,6% of Romania). It is the largest county in Romania.
In the eastern extremity are the Poiana Ruscăi Mountains from the Southern Carpathians group. Elevations decrease to the west, passing through the Lipova Hills to the Western Romanian Plain, the eastern part of the Pannonian Plain.
- Hunedoara County to the east.
- Hungary to the northwest - Csongrád County.
- Arad County to the north.
- Caraş-Severin County to the south.
- Serbia to the southwest - Vojvodina Autonomous Province - North Banat District and Central Banat District.
Timiș County has one of the most dynamic economies in Romania, being a region with among the highest ratings of foreign investment due to its tradition and its position.
The predominant industries in the county are:
- Mechanical manufacturing
- Electronic components
The main tourist attractions in the county are:
There are also a lot of places for hunting and fishing.
- Ana Blandiana
- Béla Lugosi
- Lavinia Miloșovici
- Traian Vuia
- Johnny Weissmuller
- Tiberiu Brediceanu
- Iosif Constantin Drăgan
- Béla Bartók
- Dositej Obradović
- Nikolaus Lenau
- Ted Junker
- Herta Müller
- Francesco Illy
Timiș County has 2 municipalities, 8 towns and 89 communes
- Sânnicolau Mare - population: 13,298 (as of 2004)
- Jimbolia - population: 11,605 (as of 2004)
- Recaș - population: 8,188 (as of 2004)
- Buziaş - population: 7,738 (as of 2004)
- Făget - population: 7,356 (as of 2004)
- Deta - population: 6,582 (as of 2004)
- Gătaia - population: 6,101 (as of 2004)
- Ciacova - population: 4,939 (as of 2004)
- "Population at 20 October 2011" (in Romanian). INSSE. 5 July 2013. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia după etnie"
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 şi 2002"
Google earth file (kmz) with information about the Timis Bega catchment and the 2005 flood event Download the kmz file
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Timiş County.|