Timo Rautiainen at Rakuunarock festival in 2013.
January 25, 1963 |
|Genres||Heavy metal, Hard rock|
|Instruments||guitar, bass, mandolin|
|Labels||King Foo Entertainment|
|Associated acts||Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus
Timo Aulis Rautiainen (born 25 January 1963, in Sulkava, Finland) is a Finnish heavy metal singer, guitarist and songwriter. He is best known as the singer and songwriter of Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus. He has also sung in the bands Lyijykomppania and Aku Ankkuli.
He was graduated from the University of Jyväskylä as a teacher of special education - a quite uncommon profession for heavy metal musicians. In the early stages of Trio Niskalaukaus, Rautiainen was commonly represented in the main media as "The Grim Teacher", because of his strong and rather gloomy lyrics and his occupation. However, in later years he concentrated solely on his musical career, resigning from his educational activities. Despite his earlier and solemn representation in Finnish media, Timo is actually a man with good sense of humour, and on stage he is characterized by his laid back nature.
In December 2004, Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus announced that they would be going on break for an indefinite period. While the band was on hiatus, Timo starred on Finnish talk-show 'K-Rappu', which concentrated on culture. On 1 November 2006, Trio Niskalaukaus announced that they would be breaking up.
After the breakup of Trio Niskalaukaus, Timo Rautiainen published his first solo album titled Sarvivuori in 2006 with a crew gathered from different bands. The album featured the talents of e.g. Nightwish founder Tuomas Holopainen (who also wrote one song) and former Children of Bodom guitarist, Alexander Kuoppala. In the drums debuted renown Finnish actor Jussi Lampi.
Initially Timo was supposed to do only one solo album, but after the album's good reception and the band's highly successful summer tour he changed his mind, and in 2007 his second solo album, Loppuun ajettu, was released. The line-up changed a bit, and Jarkko Petosalmi, former Trio Niskalaukaus guitarist joined Timo's solo band. The album went into the Finnish charts at #5 in its first week.
- 2006: Sarvivuori (The Horn Mountain)
- 2007: Loppuun ajettu (Used to the End)
- 2010: En oo keittäny enkä myyny (I Haven't Made, Neither Sold Booze)
- 2012: Kunnes elämä meidät erottaa (Until Life Do Us Part) (with Neljäs Sektori)
- 2006: Uskonnonpastori EP (The Pastor of Religion)
Singles & EP's
- 2006: "Punainen viiva" (The Red Line)
- 2006: "Sinulle" (For You)
- 2007: "Outolintu" (Strangebird)
- 2008: "Rööperi"
- 2010: "Bacchuksen tiellä"
- Timo Isoaho, Matti Riekki (2003): Trio Niskalaukaus, p. 22. Ranka Kustannus Oy. ISBN 952-99206-0-1
- Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus biography (in Finnish)
- Lista - Suomen virallinen lista