|Born||Timothy Agoglia Carey
March 11, 1929
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
|Died||May 11, 1994
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Carey wrote, produced, directed, and starred in the 1962 feature The World's Greatest Sinner which was scored by Frank Zappa. Although it did not have wide commercial release, the film has achieved cult status through repeated screenings at the "midnight movies" in Los Angeles in the 1960s. This movie established Carey as an important figure in independent film.
Carey usually portrayed psychotic, manic, arrogant, obsessed, and/or violent characters, who are driven to extremes.
As an actor, Carey appeared in the Stanley Kubrick films The Killing and Paths of Glory, and in the John Cassavetes-directed films Minnie and Moskowitz and The Killing of a Chinese Bookie. The 1957 film Bayou featured one of Carey's few leading roles, as a Cajun shopkeeper named Ulysses.
He had roles in East of Eden, The Wild One, One-Eyed Jacks, The Boy and the Pirates, and Beach Blanket Bingo. He played a minor role as the Angel of Death in the comedy film D.C. Cab, and appeared in the Monkees vehicle Head. His final appearance was in the 1986 movie Echo Park. Carey also did a select amount of acting on TV from the 1950s through the 1980s.
Carey's face (from the movie The Killing) is positioned behind George Harrison on the cover of the Beatles album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Although Carey's image is not seen on the commercially released version of the cover, it can be seen on outtake photos from the Sgt. Pepper session.
According to director Quentin Tarantino, Carey auditioned for his film Reservoir Dogs for the role of Joe Cabot yet did not get the role, the screenplay of the film was also dedicated to Carey among others.
He died of a stroke in 1994 at the age of 65, and was buried at Rose Hills Memorial Park.
- Across the Wide Missouri (1951)
- The Wild One (1953, uncredited)
- Crime Wave (1954)
- Alaska Seas (1954)
- East of Eden (1955, uncredited)
- Finger Man (1955)
- The Killing (1956)
- Paths of Glory (1957)
- Unwed Mother (1958)
- Bayou (a.k.a. Poor White Trash) (1957)
- The Second Time Around (1961)
- One-Eyed Jacks (1961)
- Convicts 4 (1962)
- The World's Greatest Sinner (1962)
- Rio Conchos (1964)
- Beach Blanket Bingo (1965)
- Waterhole No. 3 (1967)
- Head (1968)
- Get to Know Your Rabbit (1972)
- The Outfit (1973)
- The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976)
- Speedtrap (1977)
- Fast-Walking (1982)
- D.C. Cab (1983)
- Echo Park (1986)
- Timothy Carey at the Internet Movie Database
- Psychotronic Video Magazine 1990 interview with Timothy Carey
- Film Comment interview with Timothy Carey
- Cashiers du Cinemart profile
- "The Brooklyn Cajun: Timothy Carey in Poor White Trash," by Jim Knipfel, at The Chiseler