Timothy Goes to School
|Timothy Goes to School|
|Created by||Rosemary Wells|
|Directed by||Gary Hurst
|Voices of||Austin Dilulio
|Theme music composer||Stan Meissner|
|Opening theme||It's a Brand New Day|
|Ending theme||It's a Brand New Day (instrumental)|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||26|
|Executive producer(s)||Stephen Ching
Clive A. Smith
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Silver Lining Entertainment
Animation Services Hong Kong Limited
|Original channel||PBS Kids
|Original run||September 30, 2000 – December 28, 2001|
Timothy Goes to School is a cartoon series based on the Yoko series and other individual books by Rosemary Wells such as "Shy Charles", "Fritz and the Mess Fairy" and "Noisy Nora", but is titled after the book of the same name.
It features a young raccoon, Timothy, who attends a fictional primary school. The series aired on PBS Kids as part of the PBS Kids Bookworm Bunch (the sixth and last show after Corduroy, Elliot Moose, George Shrinks, Marvin the Tap Dancing Horse, and Seven Little Monsters. Timothy Goes to School was the fourth and last show after George Shrinks, Marvin the Tap Dancing Horse, and Seven Little Monsters when Corduroy and Elliot Moose were cancelled) from 2000 until 2004. Reruns were later broadcast on Discovery Kids in the US until 2006. This show airs on YTV, Treehouse TV, and TVO Kids in Canada, and also Tiny Pop, a digital TV channel in the UK. In Brazil was aired on TV Cultura (2003–2007). In Mexico and Latin America, was broadcast on ZAZ (In Latin America, episode #22 wasn't aired, but it did air in Brazil). The series premiered on September 30, 2000 and aired its last episode on December 28, 2001.
Below are the characters split up into three groups, children, adults, and others.
- Timothy (voiced by Austin Dilulio) - A raccoon. Although he is the main character of the show, not all episodes are centered on him. He is a well-meaning young boy and the most warm hearted child in the school, generally trying to be a friend to everyone. He is a little impulsive however, as seen in "Red Thunder," when he unsuccessfully tries to copy Doris's brothers on a bicycle ramp. He wears a blue and white striped shirt.
- Yoko (voiced by Lisa Yamanaka) - A cat from Japan. She is a typical sweet young girl, good at the violin and seeing the best in people. Yoko enjoys many Japanese things such as sushi and origami which has occasionally caused problems for her and her classmates. She is Timothy's best friend, and they are often seen together. She wears a yellow dress with a red shirt over it.
- Nora (voiced by Alyson Court) - A dark gray mouse who is sometimes bossy and sulky. She is known for making a lot of noise which has earned her the nickname Noisy Nora. She owns an iguana called Norman who lives in the school. She has an eight-year old sister named Kate who hasn't appeared in the show other than as a picture Nora drew of her, and an extremely messy baby brother named Jack who occasionally appears. She wears a purple dress.
- Charles (voiced by Max Morrow) - A gray mouse who is shy and likes to play by himself at recess but is often found around Timothy, Lilly or Yoko, being the quieter members of the class. He engages in very creative and imaginative play, as he built a make-believe rocket ship to the stars. As he is the smallest member of the class, he tends to not be good at sports, but he isn't bothered by this. He wears a red shirt and blue overalls.
- Lilly (voiced by Mag Ruffman) - A fox who is forgetful, and to remedy this she often ties a string around a finger. Lilly has a pet fish named Treasure. She is generally extremely absent-minded, but remembers the most vital things. Her forgetfulness can often be a source of annoyance to the other characters, but they quickly forgive her. She wears a sea green dress with an orange shirt over it and a pair of red tennis shoes.
- Frank #1 & Frank #2 (voiced by Darren Frost and Rob Stefaniuk) are French bulldog twin brothers who love sports and often speak in unison. The brothers speak in stilted, dull voices which suggest they are not too bright. They are known for play fighting, telling jokes, trying to do things simultaneously and their signature jolly laughter. They can't stand being separated and can sometimes be a bit reckless. Their favorite food is franks and beans. Frank #1 is black and wears a blue jersey, Frank #2 is orange and wears a green jersey.
- Doris (voiced by Tracy Ryan) - A beaver who is a boisterous tomboy. She is a talented soccer player who seems to have Entomophobia or a fear of insects. Doris has three older brothers: Horace, Morris and Boris. Doris is clearly the tallest student in her class, though at home, she is teased by her brothers as she is much smaller than they are. Doris appears to be the most avant-garde artist in class, as she believes her painted art doesn't need to look like anything, as long as it makes her happy. Most of the other characters are impressed by her size and strength. She wears a pink dress with a darker pink bow in her hair.
- Fritz (voiced by Laurie Elliott) - A badger who is very fond of science. He leaves for another school in "Fritz On the Move" and returns soon after in "Many Happy Returns". Fritz is also the most clever in the class, and occasionally knows more than the teacher about a particular subject. Fritz reacts poorly to failure in experiments. He also has a tendency towards messiness. He originally wore a yellow shirt with a green necktie, but, upon returning in "Many Happy Returns", he wears a green multipocketed vest over a yellow undershirt.
- Claude (voiced by Joanne Vannicola) - A raccoon who tries to be the best in the school though he comes off arrogant in some cases. Because of this, there is some rivalry between him and Timothy. However, they appear to become good friends after Timothy secretly teaches Claude to swim, in which Claude credits Timothy. He wears a dark green polo shirt and is most often seen with Grace.
- Grace (voiced by Linda Kash) - An upper-class cat who likes things her way. Her interests include dance, especially ballet, and figure skating. She has a quick temper and gets quickly annoyed when mistakes are made and (to her mind) silly questions asked from others in the class. She is seen playing with Claude most of the time. She wears a blue dress.
- Juanita (voiced by Susan Laney Dalton) - A cat originally from Mexico. Upon joining the school, she is very nervous, anxious and feels insecure without her mother, but eventually she overcomes her nerves. A new pupil to the school, she sees the best in people like Yoko. She only appears in the final episode of the show.
- Mrs. Jenkins (voiced by Fiona Reid) - A fox and the teacher of the class. Her name was Miss Abercrombie before she was married to Mr. Jenkins as mentioned in the episode "Just In Time". She can play the piano and she enjoys watching birds. She wears a green coat, a purple dress, and glasses.
- Big Frank - The father of the Frank twins. He is a French bulldog and speaks in a gentle voice and sounds much more clever than his sons. He is seen as good with machinery and repairs, as he is able to easily fix Timothy's bicycle and also help Frank and Frank fix Yoko's taketombo after the Franks accidentally break it. He wears a blue business shirt.
- Henry (voiced by Jamie Watson) - The janitor and bus driver. He is a beaver and is quite cheerful. He wears a blue uniform and was once Mrs. Jenkins' student back when she was Ms. Abercrombie. Despite his appearance, he isn't that old, being only thirty years old.
- Miss Appleberry - The student teacher at Hilltop School. She is a skunk and usually wears a blue dress. When Mrs. Jenkins sprained her arm in "Get Well Soon", Miss Appleberry was the substitute teacher.
- Mrs. Lightfoot - The librarian who gives the children their first library cards. She only appears in "Read Me A Story".
- Mailman - A skunk who delivers the mail in the neighborhood.
There are several notable adults and relatives, though many only appear in a couple of episodes (Yoko's mother, Doris's brothers, Nora's baby brother Jack, and the parents of the other children). Fritz, Yoko and Lilly don't appear to have fathers while the Franks and Claude don't appear to have a mother, however, this situations are never explained on the series.
|1||"Timothy Goes to School (Pilot) / Yoko"||September 30, 2000|
|*"Timothy Goes to School" - Timothy is concerned about what to wear on his first day of school since Claude always has something nicer.
|2||"On the Fritz / The Great Obstacle Course"||October 6, 2000|
|*"On the Fritz" - Fritz blames all his mess on "The Mess Fairy".
|3||"Small Change / Shy Charles"||October 7, 2000|
|*"Small Change" - Nora is reluctant to change and she feels very moody, until she finds out that change is a good thing.
|4||"Don't Lose It, Lilly / Frankless Frank"||October 13, 2000|
|*"Don't Lose It, Lilly" - The children respectfully show Lilly how she can remember everything.
|5||"Paint by Numbers / The Sleepover"||October 14, 2000|
|*"Paint by Numbers" - Doris likes to paint abstract art but the only person she knows who appreciates it is Charles.
|6||"The Music Tree / Team Project"||October 20, 2000|
|*"The Music Tree" - Yoko is chosen to be the lead cast of the Hilltop School Orchestra and gets stage fright.
|7||"Cherry Blossom / Talent Show"||October 21, 2000|
|*"Cherry Blossom" - Yoko grows a Japanese Sakura plant. She is very impatient and learns that trees take a long time to grow.
|8||"Scary Monsters / Lifesaver Lilly"||October 27, 2000|
|*"Scary Monsters" - Nora has a strong fear of dinosaurs preventing her from going on the school trip. The children help her fear by showing her that not all dinosaurs are scary.
|9||"Red Thunder / Putting it All Together"||October 28, 2000|
|*"Red Thunder" - Timothy gets a new bike for his birthday. After riding a bike safety day at school, he copies Doris' brothers with their BMX bike tricks at the Franks' house.
|10||"The Big Snowfall / Forever Friends"||November 3, 2000|
|*"The Big Snowfall" - Doris unsuccessfully tries to show responsibility while looking after Lilly on her first snowfall.
|11||"Taking the Plunge / Timothy's Way"||November 4, 2000|
|*"Taking the Plunge" - Claude can't swim, so Timothy secretly teaches him how to.
|12||"The Treefort and the Sandcastle / Get Well Soon"||November 10, 2000|
|*"The Treefort and the Sandcastle" - The children at school split themselves into clubs by gender.
|13||"In the Spotlight / Fritz on the Move"||November 11, 2000|
|*"In the Spotlight" - Charles enjoys leaves but is too shy to talk publicly.
|14||"Many Happy Returns / You're Invited"||September 30, 2001|
|*"Many Happy Returns" - Timothy finds out that Fritz has a surprise for him. Timothy discovers that his surprise is not a delivery, but that Fritz moves back to Timothy's hometown and attends Hilltop again.
|15||"The Greatest / Rocky Friendship"||October 7, 2001|
|*"The Greatest" - Because he found Nora's pet lizard, Timothy is forced to help all the children.
|16||"Two for Tea / Abracadabra"||October 14, 2001|
|*"Two for Tea" - Yoko's mother comes to school to demonstrate Sado, a Japanese tea ceremony.
|17||"The Taketombo / Having a Wonderful Time"||October 21, 2001|
|*"The Taketombo"- Yoko receives a Japanese toy called a Taketombo, which is accidentally broken by the Frank brothers and then repaired by them with the help of Big Frank.
|18||"The Shutterbug / The Friendship Stone"||October 28, 2001|
|*"The Shutterbug" - Timothy brings a camera to school, but when he takes pictures, he thinks that none of the photographs are precise enough to be put in an album.
|19||"New Found Franks / When I Grow Up"||November 25, 2001|
|*"New Found Franks" - The Franks learn to play with the other children.
|20||"The School Play / Full of Beans"||December 2, 2001|
|*"The School Play" - Yoko is chosen to be a decayed tooth in a school play about dental care, but she is not very satisfied with her part.
|21||"Read Me a Story / The Gift"||December 9, 2001|
|*"Read Me a Story" - Because of learning how to read, Nora has fear that her beloved story-time with her mother could come to an end, but does it?
|22||"Measuring Up / Lost and Found"||December 16, 2001|
|*"Measuring Up" - Charles finds out that he is smallest in the class, but he finds out that Doris, biggest in the class, is the baby of the family.
|23||"Professor Fritz / Two Tutu Friends"||December 22, 2001|
|*"Professor Fritz"- Fritz develops a rocket experiment for an open house, but after the experiment goes wrong Fritz gives up. Timothy helps Fritz through his problems and increases his self confidence.
|24||"My Family / Just in Time"||December 23, 2001|
|*"My Family" - Nora hates her baby brother Jack, but realizes what fun an infant sibling can be.
|25||"Charles the Athlete / Be My Valentine"||December 27, 2001|
|*"Charles the Athlete" - Frank and Frank want to teach Charles how to be an athlete but Charles shows no interest and wants to play astronauts instead.
|26||"Mama Don't Go / Making New Friends"||December 28, 2001|
|*"Mama Don't Go" - Juanita is new to Hilltop School. Timothy and Yoko help her manage without her needing her mother with her.
- Viewers Like You (Thank You)