Timothy Hollingsworth (born, January 30, 1980) is an American chef and former Chef de Cuisine at Thomas Keller’s restaurant French Laundry in the Napa Valley. Hollingsworth represented the United States at the Bocuse d'Or world final in 2009, after winning the Bocuse d'Or USA semi-finals, held at Epcot in September 2008.
Hollingsworth never attended culinary school. Instead, he worked his way from the position of dishwasher over the course of seven years. He also completed apprenticeships in France, Germany and England.
Hollingsworth initially declined to compete when first approached by French Laundry chef de cuisine Corey Lee, and later described how he came to accept the challenge.
|“||It came up again in a managers meeting and Thomas [Keller] was there," Hollingsworth says. "He asked, 'Does anybody want to do the Bocuse d'Or?' Everybody was 'no, no, no.' He said it would be cool if someone [from the French Laundry] did it, and they were all kind of looking at me. . . . So I said, 'OK, I'll do it.' ||”|
In preparation for the January 2009 Bocuse d'Or, Hollingsworth's training, 40 to 50 hours a week, began on November 1, aided by numerous chefs including Thomas Keller, Corey Lee, Roland Henin, the sous-vide expert Bruno Goussault, Daniel Boulud and the U.S. candidate of Bocuse d'Or 2007 Gavin Kaysen. The training facilities, in a replica of the Lyon kitchen cubicle, was transformed from the old house of Keller's father is located next door to the French Laundry. Ultimately Hollingsworth placed sixth.
- Team United States 2009 dossier Bocuse d'Or
- Sophie Brickman (September 12, 2010). "How French Laundry's chefs reach for the stars". San Francisco Chronicle.
- sirha.com PDF (670 KB)
- Cowin, Diana, Food & Wine (February 2009). Competing at the Bocuse d’Or: Team USA’s Unbeatable Recipes
- Vallis, Alexandra, New York Magazine: Grub Street (November 6, 2008). Chef Timothy Hollingsworth Wants to Bring American Pressure to the Bocuse d’Or
- Abend, Lisa, Time (January 25, 2009). An American Underdog Dreams of Kitchen Gold
- Hallock, Betty, Los Angeles Times (January 26, 2009). American chef preps for cooking fame at France's Bocuse d'Or
- Sciolino, Elaine, The New York Times: Diner's Journal (January 28, 2009). The American Chef Comes in Sixth
- Reuters.com (September 28, 2008). Bocuse d'Or USA Announces Winner
- Wells, Pete, The New York Times (September 28, 2008). French Laundry Sous Chef Will Represent U.S. in Bocuse d’Or
- Sciolino, Elaine, The New York Times (January 26, 2009). High Hopes for American Team in Bocuse d’Or Cooking Competition