Timpani is a French classical music record label established in 1990 by Stéphane Topakian. The label issued over 200 discs over 20 years, mainly of unknown 20th Century French classical music. The label and catalogue are now distributed by Naïve Records. In addition to French composers the label also released recordings for the French Wilhelm Furtwängler Society.
Almost the entire catalogue of Timpani consists of recording premieres. Among the most recognised releases were:
- Pierné: Cydalise et le Chèvre-pied - disque de l’année Midem Awards
- Ropartz: Le Pays (opera)
- Jean Cras: Polyphème (opera)
- Honegger Complete Chamber Music
- Furtwängler: Violin Sonata No. 2
- Diapason harmonie 1992 - Nros 384 - 388 "Stéphane Topakian, le créateur du label français Timpani, artisan è l'intégrale de la musique de chambre d'Honegger connait bien son sujet."
- Naïve - Timpani label history (French)
- Classic Record Collector 2005 - Nos 40- 47 Page ix "When we met Stephane Topakian of Timpani at Midem, he revealed he was a Furtwangler fan and active in the French society."
- Newsletter of the Wilhelm Furtwängler Society of America 1993 "Stephan Topakian, a SWF officer, runs a small record company called "Timpani" which produced the CD of a studio performance of the Furtwangler Violin Sonata No. 2. This recording project followed the live concert performance which took ...