Tinc is a self-routing, mesh networking protocol, used for compressed, encrypted, virtual private networks. It was started in 1998 by Guus Sliepen, Ivo Timmermans, and Wessel Dankers, and released as a GPL-licensed project.
Supported network transports
- OpenSSL (encryption library)
- zlib ("best compression")
- LZO ("fast compression")
Projects that use tinc
- Freifunk: tinc was enabled in their routers as of October 2006 .
- OpenWrt has an installable package for tinc.
- pfSense has a package in development for their 2.1 release