App Store icon
|Release date(s)||February 18, 2011
July 12, 2012 (HD version)
Local Multiplayer (on HD version for iPad)
In Tiny Wings, the player takes control of a bird whose wings are too small to fly. The goal of the game is to use hills in order to gain speed and flutter as long as possible. This is done by tapping and holding the screen in order to make the bird dive. The game play mainly revolves around timing your taps so that the bird slides down hills and flies up them. The game features special missions to upgrade the player's nest and increase their score multiplier. These challenges revolve around reaching specific islands or achieving certain feats a number of times in one game. The game's visuals are procedurally generated, making it look different every day. An alternative game mode allows the player to race against three other birds controlled by AI.
The game has received highly positive reviews. Many reviewers praised the game's simple gameplay but complex nuances. IGN gave the game a score of 8.0/10 and said that it "comes together as a very playable simple pleasure." Slide to Play gave the game a perfect 4/4 and said that the game is "brilliant in its simplicity, originality, and ability to keep you coming back again and again." Games Pundit gave the game 8.5/10 saying that "It’s one of those games that you can just pick up and play to eat up 10 minutes of time and have some fun too." The game was featured by Apple senior vice president Scott Forstall as a "mind controllingly addictive game" at Apple's 2011 Worldwide Developer's Conference.
The game has been a major commercial success. It was the top grossing game in the App Store for two weeks from late February 2011 to early March when Angry Birds Rio took its place. The app was voted best iPhone game of the year in 2011 and has sold at least 10.5 million copies on iPhone and 1.8 million copies on iPad based on Apple's Game Center statistics.
- Illiger, Andreas. "Portfolio, Tiny Wings". Tiny Wings. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- "Tiny Wings Review: Is It More Than a Simple Arcade Game?". Fork This Llama.
- "IGN - Tiny Wings Review".
- "Tiny Wings Review at Slide To Play".
- "Tiny Wings iOS- Review at Games Pundit".
- WWDC 2011 keynote, http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/11piubpwiqubf06/event/, 40:00
- "Top-Grossing iTunes App – Tiny Wings Still The Top Paid App".
- "Angry Birds Rio Now Availabe [sic] for the iPhone".
- "iPhone Game of the Year 2011".