Tipton railway station
|Managed by||London Midland|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|Key dates||Opened 1852|
|2009||Closed for redevelopment|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Tipton from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Tipton railway station is located in the town of Tipton in the borough of Sandwell, West Midlands, England and was known as Tipton Owen Street until 1968. It is situated on the West Coast Main Line. The station, and all trains serving it, are operated by London Midland.
At the southern end of the station, there was a level crossing, though this was closed in January 2010 on the opening of a relief road which undercuts the railway.
The station was closed in early 2010 for refurbishment which will allow platform to be extended to accommodate longer trains than previously. The redevelopment also includes new waiting areas, easier access to the station, increased car park size, new subway, improved security and a new bus interchange.
During Monday-Saturday daytime, there is a train every half hour, which calls at all stations between Wolverhampton and Walsall. On Sundays, there is typically one train per hour between Birmingham and Wolverhampton only.
The stations called at are:
- Wolverhampton (For rail connections north towards Manchester, Shrewsbury and Liverpool and South towards London, Bournemouth and Birmingham International)
- Coseley (For bus connections to Bilston and Princes End)
- Tipton (For The Black Country Living Museum, Tipton Shopping Centre and buses towards Dudley, Bilston, West Bromwich, Great Bridge and Sedgley)
- Dudley Port Higher Level (For bus 74 to Great Bridge and Dudley)
- Sandwell and Dudley (For Oldbury Town Centre and rail connections to Manchester, Wolverhampton, Birmingham and London Euston)
- Smethwick Galton Bridge Lower Level (For higher level rail connections to Stourbridge, Snow Hill and Stratford)
- Smethwick Rolfe Street (For bus 53 to WBA FC)
- Birmingham New Street (For major rail connections to the whole of the UK)
- Duddeston (For connections to the Cross City Line)
- Aston (For connections to the Cross City Line)
- Witton (For bus 11, Aston Villa FC and Tesco Witton Lane)
- Perry Barr (For the Perry Barr one stop shopping centre)
- Hamstead (For bus 16/A to Hamstead Green Lane and Great Barr)
- Tame Bridge Parkway (For bus connections to Walsall and Stone Cross)
- Bescot Stadium (For Walsall FC, Bescot Market and services 401E between Walsall and Yew Tree and 45 between West Bromwich and Walsall
- Walsall (For rail connections to Rugeley Town/ Trent Valley and buses towards Wolverhampton, Beechdale, Sutton Coldfield and Stourbridge)
Three Main London Midland Express services call at this station - the first is a morning peak service from Stafford to New Street,the second evening peak service from Birmingham New Street to Shrewsbury calling at Wolverhampton, Bilbrook, Codsall, Albrighton, Cosford, Shifnal, Telford Central, Oakengates and Wellington (Shropshire). The third is the final service from Birmingham New Street to Crewe calling at Coseley, Wolverhampton, Penkridge and Stafford.
- Train times and station information for Tipton railway station from National Rail
- Rail Around Birmingham and the West Midlands: Tipton station
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Dudley Port||London Midland