Tirano railway station (RFI)
The Tirano station building (RFI)
Tirano, Sondrio, Lombardia
|Elevation||429 m (1,407 ft)|
|Operated by||Rete Ferroviaria Italiana|
|Distance||26 km (16 mi) from Sondrio|
|Opened||29 June 1902|
Location within Northern Italy
Tirano railway station (RFI) is one of two railway stations within the town and comune of Tirano, in the region of Lombardy, northern Italy. Opened in 1902, it is the terminus of the Tirano–Lecco railway.
Tirano (RFI) is situated at the southern side of Piazzale Stazione (Station Square) within the town centre. Tirano's other railway station, Tirano (RhB), is located at the next building on the left and at the western side of the same square.
The station was opened on 29 June 1902, upon the inauguration of the Alta Valtellina (Upper Tellina Valley) railway. It was operated initially by the Società Ferrovia Alta Valtellina (FAV) (English: Alta Valtellina Railway Company).
Upon the nationalisation of the Italian railways on 1 July 1905, the Alta Valtellina line has remained in private ownership. The Ferrovio della Stato (FS), Italy's state-owned railway operator, did not assume ownership of the line until 1970.
The ground floor of the passenger building has various services, including a waiting room, ticket office and Trenitalia Cargo office. From the waiting room, there is access to the upper floors and the now abandoned and unused dormitory rooms.
The following train services call at this station (incomplete):
- Regional Train (Trenord Regional): Tirano - Sondrio - Lecco - Milan (Centrale)
The station has three passenger platforms.
From track 2 and track 3, there is access to the goods yard, which has 5 tracks for loading, unloading and storage of rolling stock plus another two for shunting (switching).
There is also an area used by rail heritage group ALe 883 for restoring locomotives.
- Rhaetian Railway
- History of rail transport in Italy
- List of railway stations in Lombardy
- Rail transport in Italy
- Railway stations in Italy
- Alessandro Tuzza and others. "Prospetto cronologico dei tratti di ferrovia aperti all'esercizio dal 1839 al 31 dicembre 1926" [Chronological overview of the features of the railways opened between 1839 and 31 December 1926]. Trenidicarta.it (in Italian). Alessandro Tuzza. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- Media related to Tirano railway station (RFI) at Wikimedia Commons
- Webcam overlooking Piazzale Stazione, Tirano (Italian)
- Gruppo ALe883
This article is based upon a translation of the Italian language version as at January 2011.