Tiruchirapalli District is located along the Kaveri River in Tamil Nadu, India. The main town in Tiruchirappalli District is the city of Tiruchirappalli, also known as Trichy. During the British Raj, Tiruchirappalli was known as Trichinopoly, and was a district of the Madras Presidency; it was renamed upon India's declaration of independence in 1947.
Tiruchirappalli district lies at the heart of Tamil Nadu. The district has an area of 4,404 square kilometers. It is bounded in the north by Salem district, in the northwest by Namakkal district, in the northeast by Perambalur district and Ariyalur district, in the east by Thanjavur District, in the southeast by Pudukkottai district, in the south by Madurai district and Sivagangai district, in the southwest by Dindigul district and, in the west by Karur district. Kaveri river flows through the length of the district and is the principal source of irrigation and water supply. It is also known as "TUCKER" trichy
According to the 2011 census Tiruchirappalli district has a population of 2,722,290, roughly equal to the nation of Kuwait or the US state of Nevada. This gives it a ranking of 146th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 602 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,560 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 12.22%. Tiruchirappalli has a sex ratio of 1013 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 83.56%.
According to the 2011 provisional population results, the district has a population of 2,713,858. The density is 602 persons per km2. The district has a literacy of 83.6%, higher than the state's average.
Tamil is the principal language spoken and Tamils are the predominant linguistic group in the district. Considerable amount of Sri Lankan Tamils are also found in certain pockets of Tiruchirapalli. Hindus formed the majority of the population at 84.39% of the population followed by Christians at 9.02%, Muslims at 6.46% and others at 0.12%.
Tiruchirappalli District consists of 11 Taluks:
- Manapparai taluk
- Marungapuri taluk
- Srirangam taluk
- Tiruchirappalli West taluk
- Tiruchirappalli East taluk
- Thiruverumbur taluk
- Lalgudi taluk
- Manachanallur taluk
- Thuraiyur taluk
- Musiri taluk
- Thottiyam taluk
Tiruchirappalli District consists of the following urban centres:
- Trichy City
- Manapparai town
- Thuraiyur town
- Thuvakudi town
- Lalgudi town panchayat
- Manachanallur town panchayat
- Musiri town panchayat
- Thottiyam town panchayat
- Kolli Hills (Kollimalai) tourist town
- Uppiliapuram Town panchayat
- Navalurkottapattu panchayat
- Bharath Heavy Electricals Limited BHEL
- Boiler Manufacturing Industries
- Cement Factories
- Light and heavy engineering
- Leather Tanneries (E. I. Leather)
- Food processing Industries
- Sugar Mills
- (Traditional) Cigar Making (village) Industries.
- Hosiery and garments (to a small extent)
Natural resources and water bodies
Road)]] in Tiruchirapalli district]]
- River Kaveri
- River Kollidama
Places to visit in Tiruchirappalli District:
- Srirangam Ranganathaswamy Temple
- Thiruvanai koil Shiva temple
- Vayalur Murugan Temple
- Kulumandi Amman Temple,Puthur-Sholanganallur
- Samayapuram Mariamman Temple
- Vekkaliamman Temple, Woriyur
- Rock Fort and Uchipillaiyar Temple
- Tolgate Utthamar Koil Temple
- Tirupattur Bramha Temple
- Pachai malai
- Kolli malai
- Lalgudi sivan temple
The district has a large cattle and poultry population.
- Rice (vast tracts)
- Sugarcane (vast tracts)
- Cotton (small tracts)
- "Tamil Nadu Census - Religions". Tamil Nadu Govt. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Kuwait 2,595,62"
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "Nevada 2,700,551"
- 2011 provisional population totals
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tiruchirapalli district.|
||Namakkal district||Salem district||Perambalur district
|Karur district||Thanjavur District|
|Sivaganga district||Pudukkottai district|