7 November 1917|
|Died||23 February 2003
Titos Vandis (7 November 1917 – 23 February 2003) was a Greek actor who appeared in more than 100 films and television shows between 1953 and 2000. He left Greece when a dictatorship took power and lived in the United States of America for 24 years.
Vandis starred in the film Oi paranomoi (1958), which was entered into the 8th Berlin International Film Festival. In The Exorcist (1973), he had a small role as the uncle of protagonist Father Damien Karras. On The A-Team, Vandis guest-starred in the episode "Body Slam" (1985) alongside Hulk Hogan.
Vandis appeared in over 250 plays before making his Brodway debut in the Tony-nominated musical On A Clear Day You Can See Forever (1965). He created the role of Themistocles Kriakos, a Greek shipping magnate who believed in reincarnation and planned to leave his fortune to his future self. Boston Globe critic Kevin Kelly wrote that Vandis played the role with "marvellous finesse" and that the character was "rather like Zorba as a businessman with $4 million."
He later joined the cast of Man of La Mancha playing the role of Sancho Panza. Vandis was also in the original Broadway cast of Illya Darling (1967), a Tony-nominated musical based on his film Never On Sunday (1960).
- Oi paranomoi (1958)
- Astero (1959)
- Never on Sunday (1960)
- Egklima sta paraskinia (1960)
- Topkapi (1964)
- Stiletto (1969)
- Every Thing You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask (1972)
- Genesis II (1973)
- The Exorcist (1973)
- A Piece of the Action (1977)
- The Other Side of Midnight (1977)
- A Perfect Couple (1979)
- "IMDB.com: Awards for Oi paranomoi". imdb.com. Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- Savvas, Minas (March 31, 2003). "Hellenic Happenings". Greek - American Review.
- "IMDB.com: The Exorcist". imdb.com. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "IMDB.com: The A-Team Body Slam". imdb.com. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Greek Film Star Will Make Debut". Los Angeles Times. July 13, 1965.
- On A Clear Day You Can See Forever (CD booklet). New York, NY: RCA Victor. 1965.
- Kelly, Kevin (September 8, 1965). "Lerner-Lane Musical Bright, But Too Complex". Boston Globe.
- "IBDB.com: Titos Vandis". ibdb.com. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- Time Magazine review