Burgess, an only child, was born and raised in Athens, Georgia and attended Cedar Shoals High School where he was active in the theatre program. He graduated from the University of Georgia with a BA in Music. He made his Broadway debut in the musical Good Vibrations as Eddie in 2005, and then appeared in Jersey Boys in 2005 as Hal Miller. He originated the role of "Sebastian the Crab" in the musical The Little Mermaid in 2007 and went on to the role of Nicely-Nicely Johnson in the revival of Guys and Dolls in 2009.
Burgess performed at the "Broadway for Obama" benefit concert held at the State Theatre Center for the Arts in Easton, Pennsylvania on October 20, 2008. He performed at the "Broadway After Dark" benefit concert on October 26, 2008 in New York City. He will perform in a solo concert at Birdland in New York City on July 27, 2009. He is one of the many performers on the 2009 R Family Vacations Summer Cruise from July 11, 2009 through July 18.
In October 2009, he was featured on an episode of the popular web show The Battery's Down. He appeared in season 5 of 30 Rock as D'Fwan, a member of Tracy Jordan's wife's entourage. He reprised the role in season 6.
Burgess is openly gay.
- Jersey Boys (2005) Original Cast Recording
- Here's To You (2006) Studio Album
- Here's To You (2006) debut solo album, available on iTunes
- Disney's The Little Mermaid (2008) Original Cast Recording
- Keys (2008) Scott Alan
- Thirteen Stories Down (2010) Jonathan Reid Gealt
- Comfortable (2012) Studio Album
- Gans, Andrew.[www.playbill.com/news/article/122130 "Broadway for Obama Concert to Feature Lopez, Burgess, Hicks, Dixon and More,"]playbill.com, October 8, 2008
- Gans, Andrew."Broadway After Dark Features Braxton, Burgess, Dandridge, Sengbloh and More Oct. 26," playbill.com, October 26, 2008
- Gans, Andrew."Guys and Dolls' Burgess to Play Birdland in July," playbill.com, June 19, 2009
- Gans, Andrew."All Aboard!: R Family Vacations Summer Cruise, with McArdle, Burgess, Jackson, Departs July 11," playbill.com, July 11, 2009