Mountains of the Tkvarcheli district
Location of Tkvarcheli District in Abkhazia
|De facto state||Abkhazia|
|• Governor||Aida Chachkhalia|
|Time zone||MSK (UTC+3)|
Tkvarcheli district or Tquarchal district (ტყვარჩელის რაიონი, Тҟәарчал араион, Ткуарчалский район) is a district of the Republic of Abkhazia. It has no equivalent Georgian district, as it was newly formed in 1995 from parts of Ochamchira District and Gali District, centered on its eponymous capital, Tkvarcheli. The population of the district was 14,477 at the time of the 2003 census. By the 2011 census, it had increased to 16,012. Of note is Bedia Cathedral located within the district.
At the time of the 2011 census, the population of the district was 16,012. The ethnic composition of the population was as follows:
- Georgians (58.0%)
- Abkhaz (32.0%)
- Mingrelians (4.4%)
- Russians (3.4%)
- Ukrainians (0.4%)
- Armenians (0.3%)
- Greeks (0.1%)
- Svans (0.1%)
The coal-mining carried out by the Turkish Tamsaş company is the district's main industry and source of income as Tamsaş's tax payments account for 75% of its budget. The company was criticised for neglecting environmental requirements. Construction of a new cement plant is planned now, its output to be used for the Olympic construction projects in Sochi.
On 27 March 2003, Valeri Kharchilava announced at a meeting of the Cabinet of Ministers that he wanted to resign. On 31 March 2003, First Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs Daur Arshba was appointed the new Administration Head.
On 22 March 2005, newly elected President Sergei Bagapsh dismissed Daur Arshba and appointed Timur Gogua in his stead. On 23 February 2007, before the local elections, President Bagapsh temporarily prolonged Timur Gogua's tenure as Head of the District Administration. After Gogua was re-elected to the District Assembly, he was permanently re-appointed on 21 March.
On 2 June 2014, following the 2014 Abkhazian political crisis, acting President Valeri Bganba dismissed Timur Gogua, as had been demanded by protesters, and appointed his Deputy Zurab Argunia as acting District Head. Following the election of Raul Khajimba as President, he on 3 November appointed Aida Chachkhalia as Distict Head in Argunia's stead.
List of Governors
|#||Name||Entered office||Left office||President||Comments|
|Heads of the District Administration:|
|Valeri Kharchilava||≤ May 2001||31 March 2003||Vladislav Ardzinba|
|Daur Arshba||31 March 2003||||22 March 2005|||
|Timur Gogua||22 March 2005||||29 May 2011||Sergei Bagapsh|
|29 May 2011||2 June 2014||||Alexander Ankvab|
|Zurab Argunia||2 June 2014||||3 November 2014||||Valeri Bganba||Acting|
|Aida Chachkhalia||3 November 2014||||Present||Raul Khajimba|
The district's main settlements are:
- Abkhazia's status is disputed. It considers itself to be an independent state, but this is recognised by only a few other countries. The Georgian government and most of the world's other states consider Abkhazia de jure a part of Georgia's territory. In Georgia's official subdivision it is an autonomous republic, whose government sits in exile in Tbilisi.
- 1989, 2003 Census results
- 2011 Census results
- The Turkish Tamsas Can Resume Mining in Abkhazia If It Complies with Environmental Requirements 09/11/2006 18:00, Official site of the President of Abkhazia
- Ткуарчал отметил 65-летний юбилей 20/04/2007 18:13, Official site of the President of Abkhazia
- "Выпуск № 053". Apsnypress. 27 March 2003. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Выпуск № 104". Apsnypress. 30 March 2003. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- Bagapsh, Sergei (22 March 2005). "О главе Администрации Ткуарчалского района". Administration of the President of the Republic of Abkhazia. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Президент продлил полномочия главы администрации Ткуарчальского района". Administration of the President of the Republic of Abkhazia. 23 February 2007. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Президент продлил полномочия действующих глав региональных администраций". Administration of the President of the Republic of Abkhazia. 21 March 2007. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Тимур Гогуа и Беслан Аршба освобождены от должностей глав Администраций Ткуарчалского и Галского районов.". Apsnypress. 2 June 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Аида Чачхалия назначена главой администрации Ткуарчалского района". Apsnypress. 3 November 2014. Retrieved 6 November 2014.