|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2008)|
|Members||Jape Perätalo (vocals)
Juppe Sutela (guitar)
Eza Viren (guitar)
Samuel Schildt (bass)
Matti Huopainen (drums)
|Past members||Joonas Koto
To/Die/For (often abbreviated TDF) is a gothic metal band from the town of Kouvola in southeast of Finland, assembled in 1993 as a hard rock band under the name Mary-Ann. In 1999, they decided to change their musical style to gothic metal, changing their band name as well. The band disbanded on 13 April 2009, but has reformed as of 4 July 2009, and has begun work on a new album.
- 1 Band history
- 2 Line-up
- 3 Discography
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Mary-Ann (1993 - 1999)
To/Die/For was formed under the name Mary-Ann in 1993. They released two demo EPs, "Mary-Ann" in 1997 and "Deeper Sin" in 1998, before changing name as they modified musical style from heavy metal to gothic metal in 1999. "Deeper Sin" thereby resulted in a record deal with Spinefarm Records.
All Eternity / Epilogue (1999 - 2002)
Their debut album - All Eternity - was released in Finland by the end of 1999, and the band then signed contracts with Nuclear Blast (for Europe) and Pony Canyon (for Japan). Their cover of "In The Heat Of The Night" was to be the only single, and together with "Farewell" it was recorded as a music video, and obtained a fair amount of exposure.
In 2000, the band toured Europe together with Dark Tranquillity, Sentenced and In Flames. Bassist Miikka Kuisma quit the band and was replaced by Marko Kangaskolkka, who had played with the band in its early years. "Epilogue", the successor of "All Eternity", was released in 2001, and was followed by a tour with Lacrimosa.
Jaded / IV / Wounds Wide Open (2003 - 2009)
The album "Jaded" was released in 2003, and is by many fans still seen as their best effort. In August of that year, vocalist Jarno Perätalo left the band. He assembled a new band named Tiaga, integrated by former members of To/Die/For. Juha Kylmänen (from For My Pain and Reflexion) then assumed the vocals of To/Die/For. However, in 2004, Jarno Perätalo and the band Tiaga took the name To/Die/For themselves, releasing the fourth album, simply entitled "IV", in 2005.
On 4 October 2006 To/Die/For released their fifth studio album, entitled "Wounds Wide Open". After the promotional tour that stretched to October 2007, the band decided to take a break.
Sixth studio album (2009-2011)
To/Die/For released their 6th album "Samsara" in 2011.
At the moment they are working on their 7th studio album which is set to be released in May of 2015. The first single for their new album, "Screaming Birds", was released in November of 2014.
- Jape Perätalo - Vocals (1999–present)
- Juppe Sutela - Guitar (1999–2002, 2004-2005, 2010–present)
- Eza Viren - Guitar (2010-present)
- Samuel Schildt - Bass (2014-present)
- Matti Huopainen - Drums (2011-present)
- Juha Kylmänen - Vocals (2003)
- Joonas Koto - Guitar (1999–2003, 2006–2009)
- Roope Latvala - Guitar (2001-2002)
- Miikka Kuisma - Bass (1999–2000)
- Marko Kangaskolkka - Bass (2000–2003)
- Tonmi Lillman - Drums (1999–2003, 2009–2010)
- Mika Ahtiainen - Guitar (2002–2005)
- Josey Strandman - Bass (2003-2010)
- Santtu Lonka - Drums (2003-2011)
- Antti-Matti Talala - Guitar (2006–2009, 2010–2014)
- Jussi-Mikko Salminen - Keyboards (2004–2005, 2010–2014)
- Alexi Laiho - Guitar solo on In The Heat Of The Night
- Kimberly Goss - Vocals in All Eternity
- Marco Hietala - Vocals in Epilogue
- Tanya Kemppainen - Vocals in Epilogue and Jaded
- Anna Lukkarinen - Vocals in Jaded
- Jonna Imelainen - Vocals in Jaded
Demos & EPs (as Mary-Ann)
- Epilogue from the Past (2010)
- In the Heat of the Night (2000)
- Hollow Heart (2001)
- Little Deaths (2005)
- Like Never Before (2006)
- Screaming Birds (2014)