To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants
|"To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants"|
|SpongeBob SquarePants episode|
|Episode no.||Season 6
Episode 9 (109a)
|Directed by||Alan Smart (animation)
Luke Brookshier (storyboard)
Nate Cash (storyboard)
|Written by||Luke Brookshier
|Produced by||Paul Tibbitt (supervising)|
|Original air date||July 17, 2009|
|Running time||11 minutes|
|SpongeBob SquarePants (season 6)
List of SpongeBob SquarePants episodes
"To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants", also known as "To SquarePants or Not to", is the 9th episode of the sixth season and the 109th overall episode of the American animated television series SpongeBob SquarePants. It originally aired on Nickelodeon in the United States on July 17, 2009.
The series follows the adventures and endeavors of the title character and his various friends in the underwater city of Bikini Bottom. In this episode, SpongeBob's pants have shrunk in the dryer. Unable to find a new pair, he tries round pants, but no one recognizes him as SpongeBob RoundPants.
The episode was directed by Alan Smart, and was written by Luke Brookshier, Nate Cash, and Steven Banks. On July 21, 2009, the DVD version of the episode was released. Upon release, the episode received positive reviews.
It is laundry day, and SpongeBob is drying a whole load of his "square pants". But while his pants are in the dryer, SpongeBob gets distracted by Patrick who makes funny whistling sound. Eventually, SpongeBob goes to check on his pants which apparently all shrunk in the dryer. Upon hearing that there will not be another shipping of "square pants" for months, SpongeBob tries out several different styles of pants at the mall. He finally chooses a pair of "round pants".
Spongebob shows Patrick his new pants. However, Patrick is too stupid to recognize him due to the new pants; he believes Spongebob can only be Spongebob if he has "square pants". Spongebob thinks about this as talks with others, who jokingly say they don't know who he is. Feeling discouraged by the idea that nobody knows who he is, SpongeBob decides to start a new life as "SpongeBob RoundPants", to which he decides to re-apply to his job at the Krusty Krab. When he meets Squidward at the restaurant, SpongeBob acts as if this is his first time applying at the Krusty Krab and has never met Squidward before. Squidward decides to take advantage of this by training SpongeBob to act like him, a horrible employee, in hopes that SpongeBob will later get fired. After a series of complaints from the customers, Mr. Krabs confronts SpongeBob for his lousy work, to which SpongeBob explains that since he has new pants, he is no longer "SpongeBob SquarePants". Mr. Krabs as him "what kind of idiot told you that?" as Patrick is then seen. He then convinces SpongeBob that he should take his pants off. SpongeBob, no longer wearing pants, then continues to be himself and go back to being a good employee. However, when Sandy comes in seeing SpongeBob in his underwear, SpongeBob freaks out again after Sandy calls him "SpongeBob UnderPants".
"To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants" was written by Luke Brookshier, Nate Cash, and Steven Banks, and was directed by Alan Smart. Brookshier and Cash also functioned as storyboard directors. The episode originally aired on Nickelodeon in the United States on July 17, 2009, with a TV-Y7 parental rating.
The episode was a part of the network's tenth anniversary celebration of SpongeBob SquarePants. Starting July 17, 2009 at 8:00 pm EDT, Nickelodeon aired a 50-hour SpongeBob marathon titled "The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash Weekend". The marathon started with the premiere of "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants" at 8 pm.
On July 21, 2009, the episode became available on the DVD compilation of the same name, along with fellow sixth season episodes "Squid's Visit", "The Splinter", "Slide Whistle Stooges", "Boating Buddies", "The Krabby Kronicle", "The Slumber Party", and "Grooming Gary". "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants" was also released on the series' season six DVD compilation.
The episode and its DVD release received positive reviews. Paul Mavis of DVD Talk positively responded to the episode and wrote that "There are laughs in 'To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants.'" Gordon Sullivan of DVD Verdict gave the episode a score of 5 out of 10 and said "[the episode] was one of the slighter entries [on the DVD], with the core joke being fairly well-handled with no one recognizing SpongeBob, but it went on just a little too long. April Pohren of the Blogcritics said "[the episode] is original and comical."
- "o SquarePants or Not to SquarePants". Zap2it. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Alan Smart (Director) (July 21, 2009). To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants (DVD). United States: Nickelodeon.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 6, Vol. 1 ("To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants" credits) (DVD). United States: Paramount Home Entertainment/Nickelodeon. December 8, 2009.
- Liu, Ed (June 25, 2009). "Nickelodeon Announces Special Programming for SpongeBob SquarePants 10th Anniversary" (Press release). Toonzone. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- "Nickelodeon Celebrates 10 Years of Pop Culture Icon SpongeBob SquarePants" (Press release). PR Newswire. June 24, 2009. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Bubbeo, Daniel (July 9, 2009). "SpongeBob celebrates 10 years of nautical nonsense". News Day. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- McLean, Thomas J. (June 25, 2009). "Nick Hosts Special SpongeBob Anniversary Weekend". Animation. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Nickelodeon to roll out 'Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash Weekend'". IndianTelevision.com. June 26, 2009. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- Zahed, Ramin (July 24, 2009). "Soaking in Festivities". Animation. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Lambert, David (April 21, 2009). "SpongeBob SquarePants - To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants Debuts in July's 100-ep Marathon, Then on DVD". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- Mavis, Paul (July 17, 2009). "SpongeBob SquarePants: To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants". DVD Talk. Retrieved May 5, 2013.
- Lambert, David (April 21, 2009). "SpongeBob SquarePants - To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants Debuts in July's 100-ep Marathon, Then on DVD". TV Shows on DVD. Retrieved May 5, 2013.
- "To Squarepants Or Not To Squarepants DVD Review Read more: To Squarepants Or Not To Squarepants DVD Review". Kidz World. August 19, 2009. Retrieved May 5, 2013.
- Mavis, Paul (December 7, 2009). "SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 6, Volume 1". DVD Talk. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Sullivan, Gordon (July 27, 2009). "Spongebob Squarepants: To Squarepants Or Not To Squarepants". DVD Verdict. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Pohren, April (September 17, 2009). "DVD Review: SpongeBob SquarePants - To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants". Blog Critics. Retrieved May 5, 2013.
- Banks, Steven; Miller, Victoria H. (2009). SpongeBob RoundPants. Charlotte, NC: Baker & Taylor. ISBN 978-1442-0192-32.
- "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants" at the Internet Movie Database
- "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants" at TV.com