On the cover of KoreAm, July 2007
|Full name||Toby Dawson|
November 30, 1978 |
Busan, South Korea
|Country||United States of America|
Toby Dawson (Korean: 김수철, Kim Soo-cheol, born 김봉석, Kim Bong-seok November 30, 1978 in Pusan, South Korea) is a retired American mogul skier. He won a bronze medal at the 2006 Winter Olympics. Toby Dawson is a featured athlete on the sports medicine show Athlete 360. He is currently a coach for the Korean national freestyle skiing team.
Dawson was born in Busan, South Korea as Kim Bong-seok. When he was three, then-Kim Bong-seok was at a crowded Jungang market in Beomil-dong, Dong-gu, Busan with his mother and went missing. His father went through many orphanages in the area for days, and his son was nowhere to be found. A couple from Vail, Colorado, who were ski instructors, adopted Kim Bong-seok and he was renamed Toby Dawson.
Reunion with Biological Parents
A man from Busan, Kim Jae-su (Korean: 김재수), saw Dawson's image in the media; Kim had a missing son of Dawson's age, a DNA test has proven that Jae-su is indeed Dawson's biological father. Dawson and Kim met in Seoul for the first time on Wednesday, February 28, 2007, along with Kim's younger son. Dawson has stated his intent to start a foundation, named after his birth name, to prevent such cases in the future. After the reunion, Kim, Dawson, and his biological younger brother had lunch.
Dawson married Leah Halmi on March 14, 2007 in Palm Springs, California. They held a second wedding ceremony on May 24, 2007, in Busan, South Korea  Dawson and his wife were featured on the WE TV show "Platinum Weddings" which premiered on June 24, 2007. The couple wrote a book together, called Twenty-Two Years for Twenty-Two Seconds. They divorced in 2009. On September 14, 2013, Dawson married Kim Yeon-ji, a former member of the South Korean national taekwondo team in Seoul. Kim won the World Taekwondo Championships twice in 2001 and 2003.
- US skier meets South Korean dad
- Olympian reunites with biological father
- Yahoo! Sports - Sports News, Scores, Rumors, Fantasy Games, and more
- "Toby Meets Biological Mother". 2 November 2012. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- American Athlete to Be Reunited With Korean Father
- Former US Olympic Skier Weds in Korean Style(The Korea Times)
- Han, Steve (August 21, 2013). "Olympic Medalist Toby Dawson to Wed Former Taekwondo Champion". KoreAm. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- Toby's U.S. Olympic Team bio ... with two photo galleries
- Korean Claims to Be Biological Father of US Olympic Medalist