October 27, 1978 |
Minneapolis, MN, USA
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||197 lb (89 kg; 14 st 1 lb)|
|NHL Draft||244th overall, 1998
Tobias Emanuel Petersen (born October 27, 1978 in Minneapolis, Minnesota) is an American professional ice hockey right winger who currently plays for the Dallas Stars of the National Hockey League (NHL). He attended Colorado College, and was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins 244th overall in the 9th round of the 1998 NHL Entry Draft.
During Game 3 of the Western Conference Final in the 2005–06 playoffs, Petersen scored his first ever NHL playoff goal against Ilya Bryzgalov of the Anaheim Ducks by stealing the puck and wrapping it into an empty net while Bryzgalov attempted to make a play behind his goal line.
Petersen has stated that he is a type-one diabetic. As a result, he must use his insulin pump during games. The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins nominated him as their 2003–2004 AHL Man of the Year candidate for his work with Diabetes charities.
Petersen remains a huge Minnesota sports fan, especially the Twins. He met Mike Modano at a youth hockey camp when Modano was a rookie for the North Stars; at one point, Modano even babysat the younger player. Now playing together on the Dallas Stars, Petersen was impressed that Modano remembered him from so many years prior.
In 2008 Petersen had a memorable experience at the AHL All-Star Game. The experience began the day before the game when Petersen won the 2008 AHL Skills Competition's fastest skater event with a 14.001 second lap. The experience continued during the game as Petersen recorded 3 points including scoring on the first ever penalty shot in an AHL All-Star Game.
- "Toby Petersen". Hockey Reference. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- Townsend, Brad (2009-02-22). "Diabetes doesn't slow Dallas Stars' Toby Petersen". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "PlanetUSA takes Skills Competition, 15-9". The AHL.com. Retrieved March, 22 2010.
- "Purcell leads Canadians to All-Star Game victory". The AHL.com. Retrieved March, 22 2010.
- Petersen won't let diabetes slow him
- Stars vs. Devils - 10/22/2008
- Dallas Stars 2010-2011 Media Guide