|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)|
In Jason and the Argonauts, 1963
|Born||John Harris Armstrong
July 25, 1937
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
|Died||November 17, 1992
Butte, California, United States
Todd Armstrong (July 25, 1937 – November 17, 1992), was an American actor in ten films and several television series.
He is probably best known for playing the titular role of Jason in the film Jason and the Argonauts (1963). He had also starred, during 1961, in the later segments of the syndicated crime drama Manhunt.
Early life and education
He was born John Harris Armstrong in St. Louis, Missouri, son of Harris Armstrong, a well-known architect and Louise McClelland Armstrong. In 1956, Armstrong graduated from Ladue High School, where one of his classmates was Auggie Busch, a great-grandson of Anheuser-Busch brewing magnate Adolphus Busch. He moved to California and studied acting at the Pasadena Playhouse College of Theatre Arts, where his classmates included Dustin Hoffman and Gene Hackman.
His entry into films came when he was working as landscape gardener for actress Gloria Henry, who played the mother on the Dennis the Menace television series. Henry learned of her gardener's acting aspirations and successfully arranged for Armstrong to get a screen test at Columbia.
Armstrong appeared in 13 episodes of the series Manhunt and had supporting roles in the 1962 films Walk On The Wild Side (where he was credited as Todd Anderson) and Five Finger Exercise. Jason And The Argonauts was his first starring role, although his voice was redubbed by an uncredited British actor, Tim Turner.
In 1992, Armstrong contracted AIDS. Out of depression he suffered, he committed suicide by gunshot on 17 November. He was 55.
Armstrong appeared in the following film and television roles:
- Shackleton (1982) (TV) as Raymond Shackleton
aka Icebound in the Antarctic (USA)
- The Greatest American Hero as Ted McSherry (1 TV episode, 1982)
- Hawaii Five-O as Curt Anderson (1 TV episode, 1975)
aka McGarrett (USA: rerun title)
- - "Target? the Lady" (1975) television episode (as Curt Anderson)
- Nakia (1 television episode, 1974)
- Gunsmoke as John Wing / John August (2 TV episodes, 1968)
aka Gun Law (UK), aka Marshal Dillon (USA: rerun title)
- - "9:12 to Dodge" (1968) television episode (as Johnny August)
- - "The First People" (1968) television episode (as John Eagle Wing)
- A Time for Killing (1967) as Lt. 'Pru' Prudessing
aka The Long Ride Home (UK)
- Winnetou und sein Freund Old Firehand (1966) as Tom
aka Thunder at the Border (UK), aka Winnetou: Thunder at the Border (USA)
- Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round (1966) as Alfred Morgan
- Scalplock (1966) (television) as Dave Tarrant. When the film became the television series The Iron Horse, Armstrong's original role was played by Gary Collins
- The Silencers (1966) (uncredited) as a Guard
- King Rat (1965) as Tex: The American Hut
- Jason and the Argonauts (1963) as Jason
aka Jason and the Golden Fleece
- Five Finger Exercise (1962) as Tony Blake
- Walk on the Wild Side (1962) as Lt. Omar Stroud (credited as Todd Anderson)
- Manhunt as Detective Carl Spencer (13 TV episodes, 1961)
- "Todd Armstrong movies, photos, movie reviews, filmography, and biography". AllMovie. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "St. Louisan Todd Armstrong Starred in JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS in 1963". December 19, 2013. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- Jason and the Argonauts at the Internet Movie Database
- "Todd Armstrong". IMDB. Retrieved 3 November 2014.