Todd James (born 1969) is a contemporary artist from New York City. Self-taught, he started tagging the New York City Subway system under the name REAS when he was very young. James designed the Beastie Boys' Brooklyn Dust Elephant logo (1987) The Source (Magazine) logo as well as Mobb Deep, Red Man, Eminem, Kid Rock. Art from his coloring book/zine Attitude Dancer was used as a cover for Iggy Pop's Beat em up album . Todd Was the puppet designer for Crank Yankers on Comedy Central produced by Jimmy Kimmel and Jack Hole productions.
He created, with Barry McGee and Steve Powers, Street Market at New York City's Deitch Projects. This exhibition was selected for the 2001 Venice Biennale. In 2004, he also participated in the group exhibition Beautiful Losers which travelled to several museums in the US. The Street Market installation was Re built and expanded for the L.A. MOCA "Art in the Streets" in 2011.
His distinctive cartoon-style paintings are very ironic. Todd's paintings reflected a variety of influences, including the pop culture and American expressionist painters such as Willem de Kooning and Franz Kline.
Selected solo exhibitions
Selected group exhibitions
- Brush Strokes, V1 Gallery, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Album exhibition, V1 Gallery, Copenhagen, Denmark
- The Paper Chasers, Ohwow, New Zealand
- The New Yorkers, V1 Gallery, Copenhagen, Denmark
- The Outsiders, The Lazarides Gallery, New York City, New York, United States
- Destruction of Atlantis, Union Gallery London, United Kingdom
- Paper Trails, V1 Gallery, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Beloved Fiend, Todd James, Tate Liverpool Biennal, Liverpool, United Kingdom
- Pot o Gold 3, PAM Gallery Australia, Perks, Delta, Australia
- Street Market, with Todd James, Steve Powers, Barry McGee, Deitch Projects, New York City, New York, United States
- Street Market, with Todd James, Steve Powers, Barry McGee, Parco Gallery, Japan
- Untitled 2000, Japan Group show Keith Haring Foundation, Japan
- Street Market, with Todd James, Steve Powers, Barry McGee, Venice Biennale, Venice, Italy
- Indelable Market, Todd James, Steve Powers, Barry McGee, Institute for Contemporary Art, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- Daze/Crash with guest Reas, Recent Works, Pallazzo Enrico Coveri Florence, Florence, Italy
- Adventures of the Four Letter Word, with Steve Powers
- Nguyen, Patrick & Mackenzie, Stuart, (2010) Beyond the street : the 100 leading figures in Urban Art, published by Gestalten
- James, Todd (2003), Todd james, Testify Books
- James, Todd (2008) Todd James: Blood & Treasure. Published by Lazarides Gallery.
- Clark Magazine #33 Reas aka Todd James