January 17, 1947 |
St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Judy Susman (divorced)|
Todd Susman (born January 17, 1947) is an American actor.
Susman's better-known roles include Officer Shifflett on Newhart and the unseen P.A. system announcer on the television series M*A*S*H. In 1976, he was known as a regular on the six-episode CBS adventure series Spencer's Pilots. Before that, Susman submitted a pilot series for Grant Tinker for MTM Enterprises about an innocent young man arriving in New York City to start his career.
A native of St. Louis, Missouri, Susman has appeared in over one hundred different television series and commercials and was also featured in the Broadway production of Hairspray, the 1971 film Star Spangled Girl, the 2007 independent film, The Big Bad Swim, and the 2009 comedy, The Flying Scissors. He also voiced the lead character in the 2002 video game Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix.
In 2012, he appeared in the original cast of the off-Broadway Westside Theatre show, "Old Jews Telling Jokes", in which Jessica Shaw of Entertainment Weekly called his portrayal "the funniest moment...delivered with a Yiddish accent as thick as schmaltz". Jason Zinoman of The New York Times also complimented his performance, saying "the incongruity between content and form is perfectly tuned, and Mr. Susman benefits from resisting the urge to oversell the joke". David Finkle of TheaterMania.com also said Susman "often scores simply through his feigned stoicism".
In a 1971 news article, Susman mentioned he moved to Los Angeles because a friend told him he could make $500 a week as a writer. Unfortunately, the plan did not go well and he ended up making $60 a week as a writer for American International Pictures.
- "Buddy syndrome". St. Petersburg Times. 1976-09-16. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- "Spencer's Pilots' Take Wing". Boca Raton News. 1976-10-01. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- Garmon, M. D. (1978-04-30). "Grits, Gadsen mighty fine, says TV actor Todd Susman". The Gadsden Times. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- Shaw, Jessica (2012-05-25). "Old Jews Telling Jokes Review". ew.com. Retrieved 2013-12-25.
- Zinoman, Jason (2012-05-21). "Such a Tradition of Humor, and This Is Only a Revue?". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- Finkle, David (2012-05-20). "Old Jews Telling Jokes Review". theatermania.com. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- Gordon, David (2013-05-16). "The Chew's Carla Hall Unveils New Old Jews Telling Jokes Carnegie Deli Sandwich". theatermania.com. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- Beck, Marilyn (1971-06-10). "Sandy Duncan Not Right for Paramount Lead". Sarasota Journal. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- "Success, at last, for actor Susman?". Observer–Reporter. 1990-02-25. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
|This article about an American voice actor born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|