Tichenor at Sun Life Stadium, 2011.
December 15, 1976 |
Todd Frederick Tichenor (born December 15, 1976) is an American professional baseball umpire. He became a Major League Baseball reserve umpire in 2007 and was promoted to the full-time MLB staff in 2012. He wears number 97.
Tichenor has worked in both the American League and National League since 2007. Tichenor began the 2008 season as a minor league call-up umpire, working spring training and getting called up to the majors. Tichenor worked 58 major league games in that year.
In 2008, Tichenor ejected San Diego manager Bud Black and bench coach Craig Colbert following an argument over the intent of a substitution. Black said that he intended to signal a double switch; Edgar Gonzalez would play second after pinch hitting for the pitcher, as Brian Giles had pinch hit for the second baseman. Tichenor interpreted the switches as straight substitutions. This left San Diego without a regular second baseman to finish the game, so outfielder Jerry Hairston, Jr. had to be brought in to finish the game at second. Crew chief Gerry Davis later said that Black gave Tichenor the wrong signal to indicate the double switch.
In 2009, Tichenor was involved in a minor controversy when he ejected four people from the same game during a matchup between the Minnesota Twins and the Boston Red Sox. When Twins catcher Mike Redmond argued a close play at the plate, he was thrown out, as was Twins manager Ron Gardenhire. In the bottom half of the inning, Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek was tossed after arguing with Tichenor about balls and strikes. Red Sox manager Terry Francona was ejected shortly after Varitek for arguing the same case.
Tichenor was raised in Lincoln, Nebraska, but moved to Holcomb, Kansas in 1980. After the death of his father a year later, Tichenor and his family moved to Garden City, where he graduated high school in 1995.
- "Todd Tichenor". Retrosheet.org. Retrosheet. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- "Umpires: Roster AAA". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- "Hired: Todd Tichenor". Umpire Ejection Fantasy League. 2012-01-27.
- Jenkins, Chris (August 7, 2008). "Miscommunication gets Black ejected, puts Hairston at second". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved July 28, 2012.
- Tyler Mason (2009-05-29). "Sox-Twins skippers, catchers tossed". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- David Brown (2009-05-29). "Morning Juice: Outta here! Tichenor hits an umpire's grand slam". sports.yahoo.com. Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- Braden's perfect game 19th ever and second straight against Rays ESPN.com. Retrieved 24 July 2012
- Lutz, Bob. "Bob Lutz: Garden City umpire gets the call to make the calls". Kansas.com. The Wichita Eagle. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball umpire is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|