|Member of the Utah Senate
from the 23rd district
|Political party||Republican Party|
|Residence||Woods Cross, Utah|
|Alma mater||Brigham Young University|
Todd Weiler (born 1967) is a Republican member of the Utah State Senate. Weiler holds a bachelors degree in business and a law degree both from Brigham Young University. He lives in Woods Cross, Utah. Weiler was first appointed to the state senate in January 2012.
Early life, education, and career
Weiler received his Business Degree from Brigham Young University and continued on to get his J.D. from Brigham Young University's J. Reuben Clark Law School. Senator Weiler is affiliated with the Utah Bar (which he passed himself) and is associated with the Utah League of Cities and Towns.  Weiler is an attorney by profession. Weiler has worked in-house for Logistics Specialties, Inc. He served as Vice President of Legal and General Counsel, where he manages a small business unit and conducts all in-house legal needs.
Weiler was appointed to his Senate seat on January 13, 2012 by the Governor. Before his job as Senator, Weiler was a member of Woods Cross City Council. He also served as a delegate from 1999-2011, on the Rob Bishop for Congress Finance Committee, on the Utah GOP State Central Committee, as Davis County Republican Party Chair and as Utah GOP Vice Chair.
In 2014, Weiler was on the following committees:
- Retirement and Independent Entities Appropriations Subcommittee (Senate Chair)
- Social Services Appropriations Subcommittee
- Senate Business and Labor Committee
- Senate Judiciary, Law Enforcement, and Criminal Justice Committee
- Senate Retirement and Independent Entities Committee (Chair)
- Senate Rules Committee
Weiler is the main proponent of a proposal to make the Utah Attorney General an appointed position. Weiler argues that if the attorney general were appointed he would be the best lawyer, not the best politician.  He also argues having the attorney general collect campaign contributions creates potential conflicts of interest. In 2014, Weiler sponsored S.J.R. 3 Joint Resolution Regarding Attorney General to try and fix this problem, but the bill did not pass.
In 2014, Weiler also sponsored S.B. 229 Fourth Substitute Adoption Act Amendments, which helps give fathers more rights if a mother is putting the child up for adoption. This bill passed and was signed by the governor. He also ran S.B. 227 Exposure of Children to Pornography, which provides that a district court shall consider, when determining child custody in a separation or divorce, whether the parent has intentionally exposed the child to pornography or material harmful to a child; this bill also passed.
2014 sponsored legislation
|Bill Number||Bill Title||Bill Status|
|S.B. 14||Long-term Care Partnership||Governor Signed 3/29/2014|
|S.B. 15||Reemployment Restrictions Amendments||Governor Signed 3/29/2014|
|S.B. 28||Utah Retirement Amendments||Governor Signed 3/3/2014|
|S.B. 90 S001||Residency Amendments||Governor Signed 3/31/2014|
|S.B. 97 S003||Lobbyist Disclosure and Regulation Act Amendments||Senate/filed 3/13/2014|
|S.B. 137 S001||Health Care Professional Truth in Advertising||Governor Signed 3/28/2014|
|S.B. 142||Small Employer Health Insurance Amendment||Held in Rules Committee|
|S.B. 143 S001||Nail Technician Practice Amendments||Governor Signed 3/28/2014|
|S.B. 173 S001||Child Protection Amendments||Governor Signed 3/20/2014|
|S.B. 189||Residence Lien Restriction Amendments||Governor Signed 3/28/2014|
|S.B. 196 S001||Medical Waste Incineration Prohibition||Governor Signed 3/29/2014|
|S.B. 200||Tax Credit for Employer Purchase of Public Transit Pass||Senate/filed 3/13/2014|
|S.B. 221 S001||Indigent Counsel in Juvenile Court||Governor Signed 3/31/2014|
|S.B. 222||Automatic License Plate Reader System Amendments||Governor Signed 3/31/2014|
|S.B. 227||Exposure of Children to Pornography||Governor Signed 4/1/2014|
|S.B. 229 S004||Adoption Act Amendments||Governor Signed 4/1/2014|
|S.B. 267 S001||Governmental Immunity Act Amendments||Governor Signed 3/29/2014|
|S.J.R. 3||Joint Resolution Regarding Attorney General||Senate/filed 3/13/2014|
Weiler also floor sponsored the following bills:
- HB0006S01 Retirement and Independent Entities Base Budget
- HB0020S02 Emergency Vehicle Operator Duty of Care Revisions
- HB0071S01 Distribution of Intimate Images
- HB0081S01 Parental Review of Statewide Summative Test Questions
- HB0094 Workers' Compensation and Home and Community Based Services
- HB0121 Air Quality Revisions
- HB0185 Juvenile Detention Facilities Amendments
- HB0235 Campaign Contributions Amendments
- HB0241 School Records Amendments
- HB0246S01 Failure to Report Contributions or Public Service Assistance
- HB0256S02 Adoption Records Access Amendments
- HB0257 Aggravated Sexual Abuse of a Child Amendments
- HB0265S01 Probate Code Amendments
- HB0272 Municipal Election Amendments - Office Hours
- HB0295 Weapons Law Exemptions
- HB0296 Concealed Weapon Permit Exemptions Amendments
- HB0312S01 Dramshop Amendments
- HB0313S02 Veterans' and Military Affairs Commission
- HB0361 Certificate of Stillbirth Amendments
- HB0367S02 Physical Therapy Scope of Practice Amendments
- HB0369S02 Missed Elections Amendments
- HB0390 Unlawful Activities Amendments
- HJR012 Joint Resolution on Appointment of Legal Counsel for Executive Officers
- HJR013 Joint Rules Resolution on Conference Committee Reports
- "Weiler, Todd". Utah State Senate. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- Daniel Burton. "Meet Senator Todd Weiler of Utah’s 23rd Senate District". Publius Online. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "About Me". senatedist23. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- "@GOPTODD". Twitter. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- Dennis Romboy, Deseret News, May 15, 2013
- "S.J.R. 3 Joint Resolution Regarding Attorney General". Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "S.B. 229 Fourth Substitute Adoption Act Amendments". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "S.B. 227 Exposure of Children to Pornography". Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "Weiler, T. Sponsored Legislation". Utah State Senate. Retrieved April 15, 2014.