Tofiq Bahramov Stadium
|Full name||Tofiq Bəhramov adına Respublika Stadionu|
|Former names||Joseph Stalin Stadium (1951–1956)
Vladimir Lenin Stadium (1956-1993)
|Opened||16 September 1951|
Azerbaijan national football team
The Tofiq Bahramov Stadium (Azerbaijani: Tofiq Bəhramov adına Respublika Stadionu) is a multi-purpose stadium in Baku, Azerbaijan. It is currently used mostly for football matches. It serves as the home ground for the Azerbaijan national football team and holds 31,200 seats making it the largest stadium in the country. The stadium is also used by the Azerbaijan Premier League clubs in the final rounds of European competitions.
The Tofiq Bahramov Stadium was built in 1951. Its construction started before the World War II in 1939, but was suspended. When its construction resumed, it was finished by the German prisoners of war. Initially the stadium was named after Joseph Stalin and built in form of C (Cyrillic: Cтaлин). After the 20th Congress of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union in 1956 (denunciation of Stalin) it was renamed after Vladimir Lenin. In 1993, the stadium was named after the famous football referee Tofiq Bahramov who died in the same year.
In 2011, Presidential Reserve Fund of the State Budget of Azerbaijan for 2011 allocated $10 million for capital repairs and reconstruction of the stadium as it could be used as potential venue for Eurovision Song Contest 2012. The stadium was renovated and reopened on 16 August 2012.
|Concerts at the Tofiq Bahramov Stadium|
|30 June 2006||Tarkan||Solo Concert||55,000|
|13 October 2012||Shakira||2012 FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup||40,000|
|23 September 2007||Elton John||The Captain and the Kid Tour||32,000|
|22 September 2012||Jennifer Lopez||2012 FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup||30,000|
|10 June 2007||Aygun Kazimova||Solo Concert||29,000|
|19 April 2013||Konul Khasiyeva||Solo Concert||15,000|
- Dövlət başçısı Tofiq Bəhramov adına stadionunun açılışında iştirak edib (fotoreportaj), retrieved 16 August 2012
- Stadium for 60,000 seats to be built in Baku
- "AZN 10 million financed for overhaul of potential venue of Eurovision 2012". Retrieved 10 July 2011.
- "Azerbaijan: Buildings Commissioned & Upgraded in Baku". Retrieved 10 July 2011.
- İlham Əliyev Tofiq Bəhramov adına Respublika Stadionunun əsaslı təmir və yenidənqurmadan sonra açılışında iştirak etmişdir
- "France end Asian domination". fifa.com. FIFA. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "Rihanna and Shakira to perform in Baku". ann.az. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "Shakira: “I expect grandiose shows on October 13-14 in Baku”". en.apa.az. APA News Agency. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "ELTON JOHN GIVES CONCERT AT TOFIG BAHRAMOV STADIUM IN BAKU. PRESIDENT OF AZERBAIJAN ILHAM ALIYEV AND HIS SPOUSE MEHRIBAN ALIYEVA ATTEND THE CONCERT". www.mehriban-aliyeva.org. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- Warrick, Joby (15 October 2012). "Tiny Azerbaijan unleashes pop-power against Iran’s mullahs". washingtonpost.com (Washington Post). Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "Tofiq Bahramov the story behind the Stadium". www.insidethegames.biz. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Tarkan Concert Statistics". www.tarkancoll.com. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Shakira Rocks Baku at FIFA U-17 Women’s WC". www.argophilia.com. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "ELTON JOHN GIVES CONCERT AT TOFIG BAHRAMOV STADIUM IN BAKU. PRESIDENT OF AZERBAIJAN ILHAM ALIYEV AND HIS SPOUSE MEHRIBAN ALIYEVA ATTEND THE CONCERT". www.mehriban-aliyeva.org. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "J-Lo and the circus in pictures". www.fifa.com. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Aygün Kazımova tamaşaçıya maşın bağışlayacaq". az.trend.az (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Könül Xasıyevanın konsertində “Mercedes” fırıldağı". musavat.com (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 13 August 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tofiq Bahramov Stadium.|