Together Alone (film)
|Directed by||P. J. Castellaneta|
|Produced by||P. J. Castellaneta|
|Written by||P. J. Castellaneta|
|Music by||Wayne Alabardo|
|Edited by||P. J. Castellaneta
|Release dates||September 13, 1991 (Toronto)
September 24, 1992 (USA)
|Running time||87 minutes|
|Box office||$110,505 (USA)|
Bryan meets a man called Bill in a bar. They go back to Bryan's home and have unprotected sex. Later, they wake up and talk. Bryan discovers that Bill's real name is Brian, and that he is bisexual. They spend hours talking, covering topics including AIDS, sexuality, feminism, role-play and Emily Dickinson.
P. J. Castellaneta directed, wrote, produced, edited and even catered Together Alone. It was made on a budget of $7,000 and shot on 16mm black-and-white film. It was filmed over weekends and evenings in Castellaneta's own apartment.
In 1991, the film won the audience award at the San Francisco International Lesbian & Gay Film Festival. The following year it won the Teddy Award for Best Feature Film and the Best Art House Film award at the Berlin International Film Festival and the award for Best Feature Film at the Torino International Gay & Lesbian Film Festival. Writing for The Austin Chronicle, Marjorie Barmgauten called the film "forthright and artistically accomplished". In his book Bisexual Characters in Film, Wayne M. Bryant said that with the character of Brian, Castellaneta "manages to reinforce every existing negative stereotype about bisexual men".
- Canby, Vincent (1992-09-23), "Review/Film; Reflections on and of Gay Concerns", New York Times, retrieved 2008-03-05
- Baumgarten, Marjorie (2008-03-05), "Together Alone", The Austin Chronicle
- Krach, Aaron. "P.J. Castellaneta Says, "Relax. . . It's Just Sex"". indieWIRE. Archived from the original on 2003-06-17. Retrieved 2008-03-05.
- Rockwell, John (1992-02-25), "'Grand Canyon' Wins The First Prize At Berlin Festival", New York Times, retrieved 2008-03-05
- Bryant, Wayne M. (1997), Bisexual Characters in Film: From Anaïs to Zee, Haworth Press, p. 76, ISBN 0-7890-0142-X