Together We Are One
|"Together We Are One"|
|Single by Delta Goodrem|
|from the album Commonwealth Games: Melbourne 2006 Opening Ceremony|
|Released||1 April 2006|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Writer(s)||Guy Chambers, Delta Goodrem, Brian McFadden|
|Producer(s)||Guy Chambers, Richard Flack|
|Delta Goodrem singles chronology|
"Together We Are One" is a pop song written by Guy Chambers, Delta Goodrem and Brian McFadden, produced by Guy Chambers and Richard Flack for the album Commonwealth Games: Melbourne 2006 Opening Ceremony (2006). Due to the positive response that Goodrem received when performing the song live for the 2006 Commonwealth Games, she was then asked to record the song as a commercial single. She states the song is "for the athletes and all of us to come together and reach for our dreams and goals." It was released as a CD single and digital download in Australia on 1 April 2006 and had success on the charts peaking at number two.
Goodrem states she was "honoured" when she was asked to write a song for the 2006 Commonwealth Games and to take part in the event itself "was such an amazing experience." She states that it is her favourite kind of song to write, with the inspiring lyrics, she says "When I sat down to write the song I was just hoping it was something that people would enjoy." She also wanted to write a tribute to all the participants in the games, "to say after all the toil, and the blood, sweat and tears, the time has finally arrived for them to be rewarded" that "we're all united by this moment." She performed the song live at the 2006 Commonwealth Games opening ceremony on 15 March 2006 which was watched by over four million viewers in Australia. The music video for the single is a montage of Goodrem's performance at the 2006 Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony as well as some sporting highlights of the Games.
"Together We Are One" had commercial success in Australia. In early April 2006, it debuted at number two on the Australian ARIA Singles Chart, being held off the top spot by "Flaunt It" by TV Rock. The single spent seventeen weeks in the top fifty and spent twenty-three weeks in the top one hundred. The Australian Recording Industry Association awarded the single a gold certification for shipping 35,000 copies and went to become the forty-first highest selling single in Australia for 2006.
The Song was again performed on the American Idol Season 9 Finale as a farewell tribute to Simon Cowell together by seven former American Idol champions: Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino, Carrie Underwood, Jordin Sparks, Taylor Hicks, and Kris Allen and more than 15 past contestants of American Idol.
Formats and track listings
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "Together We Are One".
- Australian single
- "Together We Are One" — 4:14
- "Fragile" (live at Visualise Tour 2005) — 3:30
- "Last Night on Earth" (live at Visualise Tour 2005) — 4:21
- "Together We Are One" (Celebration remix) — 4:14 — iTunes bonus track
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||2|
- March 21, 2006 "It's Confirmed! Delta To Release Together We Are One As Single". Deltagoodrem.com.au. Retrieved 26 September 2008.
- March 15, 2006 "Delta Stars In Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony Spectacular; New Song Hits Radio Tomorrow". Deltagoodrem.com.au. Retrieved 26 September 2008.
- "Single Top 50 - 16 April 2006". Australian-charts.com. Retrieved 26 September 2008.
- "2006 End of Year report". ARIA Charts. Retrieved 26 September 2008.
- "ARIA Charts - Accreditations - 2006 Singles". ARIA. Retrieved 26 September 2008.