|Incorporated||June 23, 1969|
|• Mayor||Teoa Pauk|
|• Total||228.5 sq mi (591.7 km2)|
|• Land||45.2 sq mi (117.1 km2)|
|• Water||183.3 sq mi (474.6 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (1 m)|
|• Density||17.9/sq mi (6.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Alaska (AKST) (UTC-9)|
|• Summer (DST)||AKDT (UTC-8)|
Togiak is located at .Togiak is located at the head of Togiak Bay, 67 miles (108 km) west of Dillingham. It lies in Togiak National Wildlife Refuge, and is the gateway to Walrus Island Game Sanctuary. Togiak is in a climatic transition zone; however the Arctic climate also affects the region. Average summer temperatures range from 37 to 66 °F (3 to 19 °C); winter temperatures range from −45 to 30 °F (−43 to −1 °C).(59.059134, -160.383186)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 228.5 square miles (592 km2), of which 45.2 square miles (117 km2) is land and 183.3 square miles (475 km2) (80.22%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 809 people, 202 households, and 164 families residing in the city. The population density was 17.9 people per square mile (6.9/km²). There were 221 housing units at an average density of 4.9 per square mile (1.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 6.92% White, 0.12% Black or African American, 86.28% Native American, 0.25% from other races, and 6.43% from two or more races. 1.11% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 202 households out of which 56.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.4% were married couples living together, 16.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.8% were non-families. 15.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.00 and the average family size was 4.50.
In the city the age distribution of the population shows 42.8% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 26.1% from 25 to 44, 15.1% from 45 to 64, and 7.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 23 years. For every 100 females there were 101.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 111.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $23,977, and the median income for a family was $28,500. Males had a median income of $36,250 versus $34,063 for females. The per capita income for the city was $9,676. About 32.5% of families and 29.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.9% of those under age 18 and 8.7% of those age 65 or over.
- 1996 Alaska Municipal Officials Directory. Juneau: Alaska Municipal League/Alaska Department of Community and Regional Affairs. January 1996. p. 151.
- "Community: Togiak". Community Database Online. Juneau: Alaska Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development, Division of Community and Regional Affairs. 2013. Retrieved May 29, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Population for Incorporated Places in Alaska". United States Census Bureau. 2008-07-10. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.