Location of Tohmajärvi in Finland
|Sub-region||Central Karelia sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Olli Riikonen|
|• Total||895.35 km2 (345.70 sq mi)|
|• Land||837.73 km2 (323.45 sq mi)|
|• Water||57.62 km2 (22.25 sq mi)|
|Area rank||125th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||191st largest in Finland|
|• Density||5.75/km2 (14.9/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||96% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||14.4%|
|• 15 to 64||62.8%|
|• 65 or older||22.7%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||21.5%|
It is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the North Karelia region. The municipality has a population of 4,817 (30 November 2014) and covers an area of 895.35 square kilometres (345.70 sq mi) of which 57.62 km2 (22.25 sq mi) is water. The population density is 5.75 inhabitants per square kilometre (14.9/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
The municipality of Värtsilä was consolidated with Tohmajärvi in 2005.
Famous people from Tohmajärvi
- Katri Helena: Singer who has twice represented Finland in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1979 and 1993, was born in Tohmajärvi on 17 March 1945.
- Anna Easteden: An award nominated actress and a model, was born in Tohmajärvi and currently resides in Los Angeles.
- Seppo Räty: Finnish javelin thrower. Achievements include a world championship and olympic medals.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 30.11.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Tohmajärvi at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Tohmajärvi – Official website
|This Eastern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|