Tohoku Gakuin University
|Tohoku Gakuin University|
|Motto||Life Light Love|
|Location||Sendai, Miyagi, Japan|
|Campus||Urban, -- acres (-- km²)|
Tohoku Gakuin University (東北学院大学 Tōhoku Gakuin Daigaku ) is a private university in Sendai, Japan. It was founded under a Christian background (specifically the German Reformed Church, which later was known as the Reformed Church in the United States. A large part of the Reformed Church in the United States subsequently merged into what is today known as the United Church of Christ in the United States).
The university was founded in 1886 (Meiji 19) by Protestants as Sendai Theological Seminary (仙臺神學校 Sendai shin gakkō ). The first president was Oshikawa Masayoshi (押川方義 1850-1928), ex-samurai in Matsuyama and one of the first Protestants in Japan. In 1891, the school was renamed Tohoku Gakuin (東北學院 Tōhoku gakuin ) and a course for non-Christian students was added.
The first president Oshikawa resigned in 1901 and was succeeded by David Bowman Schneder (1857–1938). In 1904, college courses were added and authorized by the Specialized School Order. The college at first had two Departments: Letters, Theology. In 1918, Normal School and the Department of Commerce were added. In 1926, the main building (still used today) was built in Tsuchitoi Campus. Schneder left the college due to age, but even in his last days he had strong faith and gave the sermon titled "I am not ashamed of the gospel" (1936, the 50th anniversary of the school).
During World War II, the college was virtually forced to stop functioning and Tohoku Gakuin College of Aeronautical Engineering (東北學院航空工業專門學校 Tōhoku gakuin kōkū kōgyō senmon gakkō ) was established instead (1944–1947).
After the war, the college was reorganized (under Japan's new educational system) into Tohoku Gakuin University in 1949.
Faculties (Undergraduate schools)
- Letters (in Tsuchitoi Campus, Aoba-ku, Sendai)
- Economics (in Tsuchitoi Campus)
- Law (in Tsuchitoi Campus)
- Engineering (in Tagajo Campus)
- Liberal Arts (in Izumi Campus, Izumi-ku, Sendai)
- Law (including Law School)
- Human Informatics (in Izumi Campus)
- Tōru Doi (Member of the lower house)
- Takayuki Kishi (Professional pitcher for the Saitama Seibu Lions)
- Takeshi Koike (Announcer for Aomori Broadcasting Corporation)
- Kazuko Kōri (Member of the lower house)
- Masashi Nakano (Member of the lower house, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry cabinet minister)
- Shunrō Oshikawa (Science fiction author)
- Norio Sasaki (Composer)
- Kyōka Suzuki (Actress)
- Kenichi Takahashi (Professional basketball player for the Sendai 89ers)
- Yūji Takahashi (Announcer for Iwate Menkoi Television)
- Kōichi Yamadera (voice actor and actor)