Tokwe Mukorsi Dam
|Tokwe Mukorsi Dam|
|Purpose||Water storage, flood control, irrigation, fisheries, power|
|Opening date||2015 (est.)|
|Construction cost||US$200 million|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Embankment, concrete-face rock-fill|
|Height||90.3 m (296 ft)|
|Width (crest)||8.5 m (28 ft)|
|Dam volume||1,915,000 m3 (2,505,000 cu yd)|
|Total capacity||1,750,000,000 m3 (1,420,000 acre·ft)|
|Catchment area||7,120 km2 (2,750 sq mi)|
|Surface area||96.4 km2 (37.2 sq mi)|
|Max. water depth||82.7 m (271 ft)|
|Installed capacity||12 MW|
The Tokwe Mukorsi Dam is a concrete-face rock-fill dam on the Tokwe River, just downstream of its confluence with the Mukorsi River, about 72 km (45 mi) south of Masvingo in Masvingo Province, Zimbabwe. Construction on the dam began in June 1998 but stalled in 2008. Salini Impregilo began to finish the dam in 2011. Heavy flooding in February 2014 caused a partial failure on 4 February, on the downstream face of the dam. As of late February the dam has not fully breached but the unplanned rising reservoir behind the dam has caused evacuations upstream. When complete, the dam will be 90.3 m (296 ft) tall and withhold a 1,750,000,000 m3 (1,420,000 acre·ft) reservoir. The associated power station will have a 12 MW installed capacity.
- "Update:Flood water over Tokwe Mukorsi Dam". ReliefWeb. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Water gushes over crumbling dam wall in Zimbabwe". Digital Journal. 9 February 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Tokwe - Mukorsi Dam". Salini Impregilo. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Update: Tokwe Mukorsi dam in Zimbabwe". Digital Journal. 25 February 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Cheap design linked to problems at Tokwe-Mukosi". Nehanda Radio. 15 February 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2014.