|Motto: "Honoring Our Past, Positioning Our Future"|
Location in Maricopa County and the state of Arizona
|• Total||5.6 sq mi (14.4 km2)|
|• Land||5.6 sq mi (14.4 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,014 ft (309 m)|
|• Density||894.1/sq mi (345.2/km2)|
|Time zone||MST (no DST) (UTC-7)|
|Website||City of Tolleson, Arizona|
Tolleson is located at (33.450354, -112.255106).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.6 square miles (15 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,974 people, 1,432 households, and 1,151 families residing in the city. The population density was 894.1 people per square mile (345.4/km²). There were 1,485 housing units at an average density of 266.9 per square mile (103.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 52.21% White, 1.43% Black or African American, 1.23% Native American, 0.46% Asian, 0.16% Pacific Islander, 40.79% from other races, and 3.72% from two or more races. 77.97% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,432 households out of which 39.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.7% were married couples living together, 19.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.6% were non-families. 15.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.47 and the average family size was 3.83.
In the city the population was spread out with 32.4% under the age of 18, 10.9% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 19.4% from 45 to 64, and 9.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 102.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $38,773, and the median income for a family was $43,894. Males had a median income of $26,934 versus $23,511 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,747. About 9.9% of families and 13.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.4% of those under age 18 and 10.9% of those age 65 or over.
According to Tolleson's 2013 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the top employers in the city are:
|#||Employer||# of Employees|
|4||Rousseau Farming Company||400|
|5||Fry's Food and Drug||341|
|7||Salt River Project||314|
- "City of Tolleson, Arizona". City of Tolleson, Arizona. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- "Annual Estimates of the Population for Incorporated Places in Arizona". United States Census Bureau. 2008-07-10. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- "Annual Estimates of the Population for All Incorporated Places in Arizona" (CSV). 2006 Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division.
- "Tolleson, Arizona". City-data.com. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- "Profile for Tolleson, Arizona, AZ". ePodunk. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- City of Tolleson CAFR
- Barone, Michael; Ujifussa, Grant (1999). The Almanac of American Politics 2000. National Journal Group Inc. p. 125.