Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantoms
||This article is incomplete. (October 2014)|
|Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantoms|
|Series||Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon|
|Release date(s)||Microsoft Windows
INT August 15, 2012 (beta)
INT April 10, 2014
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantoms (known as Ghost Recon Online during the beta phase) is a multiplayer third-person tactical shooter video game released for Microsoft Windows and planned for Nintendo's Wii U console. The game is part of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon series.
|This section requires expansion. (October 2014)|
Ghost Recon Phantoms has three classes: Assault, Recon, and Support. It has a team-based gameplay, so each of these classes synergizes with one another. The Assault is played as a suppressor that can charge its way in, the Recon can outflank enemies using a cloak device or snipe by using a scanning device, and the Support can manipulate the battlefield by generating an electronic shield or causing a temporary blackout.
There are three match types: Private Match, Matchmaking, Clan Match and three game modes: Conquest, Onslaught, and Holdout.
Wii U version
On 24 May 2011, Ubisoft announced that its Singapore studio would develop Ghost Recon Online for the latter half of 2011, following an initial closed beta. This game is supported by micro transactions. On 7 June 2011, Nintendo announced at the Electronic Entertainment Expo that Ubisoft would release the game for the Wii U. Also, Ubisoft presented trailers and demos for the Wii U version of the game. The Windows version is confirmed to be a free-to-play game, and requires a Uplay account. Whilst not officially confirmed to be a free-to-play model as well for the Wii U as of January 2013[update], Nintendo's president and CEO Satoru Iwata commented in an interview that he has no opposition against this model and is willing to work with it.
Despite the fact the Wii U version of the game was not presented during either Ubisoft's or Nintendo's conferences at E3 2012, Ubisoft reaffirms that the game is still coming to Wii U. According to Ubisoft's senior vice president of sales and marketing Tony Key, he says that "Ghost Recon Online is being developed for the PC first. That was always the plan. The team is taking a little bit longer than they thought they would to get Ghost Recon Online to the level and quality that they want and that definitely has had an impact on how much time they're able to spend on the Wii U version because we want to make sure we get it right." Key also states that much of the development team behind the Wii U version of the game are also working on the PC version, and that focus will shift to the Wii U once the PC version is completed.
Additionally, Key also says, "If we start working on the Wii U too soon, we might end up wasting a lot of resources because the PC is a lot easier to test and learn with. Ghost Recon Online on the PC, we can test and learn with that and apply all the best benefits we learn onto the Wii U version to make sure that it's a great Wii U game. That's an unusual product for a console and we want to make sure we nail it." On 6 September 2012, the game's producer stated that "as of right now, the entire Ghost Recon team is focused on the PC version only" and that "the Wii U version is on hold".
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2014)|
- Robinson, Andy (2011-05-24). "Ghost Recon Online announced". Computer and Video Games. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- "Ghost Recon Online Announced". Blues News. 2011-05-24. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Argueta, Dany (2011-06-07). "Nintendo E3 2011 Keynote: Wii U revealed". Neoseeker. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- Yin-Poole, Wesley (17 March 2014). "Ghost Recon Online renamed Ghost Recon Phantoms". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Ghost Recon Online Theo Sanders Interview". GhostRecon.net. 2011-06-03. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantoms
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantoms
- Grant, Christopher (2011-05-24). "Ghost Recon Online is a free-to-play shooter, closed beta 'this summer'". Joystiq. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- "任天堂・岩田社長が語る“本当の”ソーシャルゲーム 「３ＤＳ」「Ｗｉｉ Ｕ」の逆襲（前編）" (in Japanese). Nikkei Sangyo Shimbun. 2013-01-06. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- McFerran, Damien (2013-01-07). "Iwata: Nintendo Open To "Free-To-Play" Gaming Model". Nintendo Life. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- Goldfarb, Andrew (2012-06-07). "E3 2012: Ghost Recon Still Coming to Wii U". IGN. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- Reilly, Jim (2012-09-06). "Ghost Recon Online Wii U On Hold".
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantoms for PC Reviews - Metacritic