Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6: Patriots
|Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6: Patriots|
Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6: Patriots placeholder cover art
Ubisoft Red Storm
|Series||Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six|
|Distribution||Optical disc, digital download|
Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6: Patriots is an upcoming first-person shooter video game, part of the Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six series, announced on the cover of the December 2011 issue of Game Informer. It is published by Ubisoft, and is developed by the company's Montreal studio, with additional development by Ubisoft Toronto and Ubisoft Red Storm. Due to the death of Tom Clancy in October 2013, concern was raised that this game may become the last to bear his name. Ubisoft has since stated that they will continue putting Tom Clancy's name on future Tom Clancy titles out of respect for the late author.
Similar to previous games in the series, Rainbow 6: Patriots is a squad-based game.
Team Rainbow is called to New York City to deal with a terrorist group calling itself the 'True Patriots'. Styling themselves as a populist militia group, the True Patriots have taken it upon themselves to act as judge, jury, and executioner on behalf of the alleged victims of what they see as Wall Street corruption.
To complicate the situation, the new leader of Team Rainbow is James Wolfe, a former Navy SEAL who believes ethics are irrelevant in dealing with the True Patriots. As Echo Leader, a man who looks up to Wolfe as a father figure, they must stop the True Patriots at all costs; even at the price of their own personal morality.
After finding "reason to believe that someone may leak [their] preliminary target gameplay footage", Ubisoft chose to pre-maturely announce the game through a trailer on November 4, 2011. It was stressed that the trailer showed a pre-rendered concept created in 2010 of what a level in the final game might appear like, rather than footage of any current game build.
In March 2012, it was announced that creative director David Sears, narrative director Richard Rouse III, lead designer Philippe Therien, and animation director Brent George were all removed from the development team. Minimal news on the game appeared until, May 2013, when GameStop removed Patriots from their database of upcoming games and cancelled all pre-orders.
At E3 2013, Ubisoft confirmed that the game remained in development, but would now be produced for eighth generation consoles. It has also been confirmed that players will also be able to play as the True Patriots in some capacity.
Patriots is currently being developed by Ubisoft Montreal with assistance from Ubisoft Toronto and Red Storm.
- Ubisoft (2011-11-04). "Rainbow 6 Patriots". YouTube. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Grayson, Nathan (2011-11-03). "Rainbow 6 Patriots Announced, Coming in 2013". Maximum PC. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Rainbow Six: Patriots – Who Are the True Patriots?".
- Jones, David (2011-12-10). "VGAs 2011 – Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer". WouldYouKindly.com. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- "Rainbow Six Patriots Gameplay Target Trailer". Team Xbox. 2011-11-04. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Rainbow 6 Patriots Creative Director Is Gone". Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "Rainbow 6 Patriots Pre-Orders Removed From GameStop". Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- "Rainbow 6 Patriots is Next-Gen". Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "Rainbow Six: Patriots moves to next-gen". GameSpot. Retrieved 2013-06-22.