Tom Cohen is an American media and cultural theorist, currently a professor at the University at Albany, State University of New York. He has published numerous important books on Alfred Hitchcock. Cohen has also written on other aspects of film studies, comparative literature, theory, cultural studies and on Paul de Man. Cohen has also published broadly on American authors and ideology, including Edgar Allan Poe, Walt Whitman, Mikhail Bakhtin, William Faulkner and pragmatism, as well as on Alfred Hitchcock, Greek philosophy and continental philosophy.
He is the editor (with Claire Colebrook) of the Critical Climate Change Book Series at Open Humanities Press and has lectured and taught internationally, including in China and Fulbright sponsored work in Thailand. He has been awarded a Distinguished Visiting Professorship by Shanghai Municipality in Shanghai.
Cohen's education consists of a M.A. from the University of Chicago in Comparative Literature and a Ph.D. from Yale University in Comparative Literature. Thus Cohen’s work began in literary theory and cultural politics but he has then explored as a philosopher areas of critical theory, cinema studies, digital media and climate change.
- Telemorphosis: Theory in the Era of Climate Change (Open Humanities Press, 2012) (editor)
- Theory and the Disappearing Future—on de Man, on Benjamin (Routledge, 2011), co-authored with Claire Colebrook and J. Hillis Miller
- Hitchcock's Cryptonymies 1: Secret Agents (University of Minnesota Press, 2005)
- Hitchcock's Cryptonymies 2: War Machines (University of Minnesota Press, 2005)
- Jacques Derrida and the Humanities: a Transdisciplinary Reader, Contributing Editor (Cambridge UP, 2002)
- Material Events: Paul de Man and the Afterlife of Theory, Contributing Editor, with B. Cohen, J. H. Miller, and A. Warminski (University of Minnesota Press, 2000)
- Ideology and Inscription: "Cultural Studies" after Benjamin, de Man, and Bakhtin (Cambridge UP, 1998)
- Anti-Mimesis from Plato to Hitchcock (Cambridge UP, 1994)
- "Tom Cohen". College of Arts and Sciences. University at Albany (State University of New York). Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- Ball, K (2006). "Hitchcock's Cryptonomies vols 1 and 2 (2005) by Tom Cohen". Culture Machine 1 (1): 1.
- Lippit, Akira Mizuta (2000). "Material Events: Paul de Man and the Afterlife of Theory (review)". MLN 115 (5): 1158–1164. doi:10.1353/mln.2000.0067.
- Szalay, Michael (1995). "Anti-Mimesis from Plato to Hitchcock". MLN 110 (4): 983–985. doi:10.1353/mln.1995.0053.
- Cohen, Tom; Colebrook, Claire (eds.). "Critical Climate Change". Books: Series. Open Humanities Press. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
-  Tom Cohen - Cultural and Media Studies