|Born||Tom Dana Cohen
13 August 1953
|Alma mater||Yale University|
Tom Dana Cohen (born 13 August 1953), is an American media and cultural theorist, currently a professor at the University at Albany, State University of New York. He has published numerous important books on Alfred Hitchcock. Cohen has also written on other aspects of film studies, comparative literature, theory, cultural studies and on Paul de Man. Cohen has also published broadly on American authors and ideology, including Edgar Allan Poe, Walt Whitman, Mikhail Bakhtin, William Faulkner and pragmatism, as well as on Alfred Hitchcock, Greek philosophy and continental philosophy.
He is the editor (with Claire Colebrook) of the Critical Climate Change Book Series at Open Humanities Press and has lectured and taught internationally, including in China and Fulbright sponsored work in Thailand. He has been awarded a Distinguished Visiting Professorship by Shanghai Municipality in Shanghai.
Cohen's education consists of a M.A. from the University of Chicago in Comparative Literature and a Ph.D. from Yale University in Comparative Literature. Thus Cohen’s work began in literary theory and cultural politics but he has then explored as a philosopher areas of critical theory, cinema studies, digital media and climate change.
- Cohen, Tom (1994). Anti-mimesis from Plato to Hitchcock. Cambridge New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521465847.
- Reviewed in: Szalay, Michael (1995). "Book review: Anti-mimesis from Plato to Hitchcock". MLN (Project MUSE, The Johns Hopkins University Press) 110 (4): 983–985. doi:10.1111/edth.12034.
- Cohen, Tom (1998). Ideology and inscription: "cultural studies" after Benjamin, de Man, and Bakhtin. Cambridge, UK New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521599672.
- Cohen, Tom (2001). Jacques Derrida and the humanities a critical reader. Cambridge, U.K. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521625654.
- Cohen, Tom; Miller, J. Hillis; Cohen, Barbara; Ardrzej, Warminski (2001). Material events: Paul de Man and the afterlife of theory. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press. ISBN 9780816636143.
- Cohen, Tom (2005). Hitchcock's cryptonymies: volume 1 secret agents. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press. ISBN 9780816642069.
- Cohen, Tom (2005). Hitchcock's cryptonymies: volume 1 war machines. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press. ISBN 9780816641710.
- Cohen, Tom; Colebrook, Claire; Miller, J. Hillis (2012). Theory and the disappearing future: on De Man, on Benjamin. Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780415604536.
- Cohen, Tom (2012). Telemorphosis: theory in the era of climate change 1. Ann Arbor: Open Humanities Press. ISBN 9781607852377.
- "Cohen, Tom, 1953-". Library of Congress. Retrieved 22 July 2014. "(Tom Dana Cohen; b. 08-13-53)"
- "Tom Cohen". College of Arts and Sciences. University at Albany (State University of New York). Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- Ball, K (2006). "Hitchcock's Cryptonomies vols 1 and 2 (2005) by Tom Cohen". Culture Machine 1 (1): 1.
- Lippit, Akira Mizuta (2000). "Material Events: Paul de Man and the Afterlife of Theory (review)". MLN 115 (5): 1158–1164. doi:10.1353/mln.2000.0067.
- Szalay, Michael (1995). "Book review: Anti-mimesis from Plato to Hitchcock". MLN (Project MUSE, The Johns Hopkins University Press) 110 (4): 983–985. doi:10.1111/edth.12034.
- Cohen, Tom; Colebrook, Claire (eds.). "Critical Climate Change". Books: Series. Open Humanities Press. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
-  Tom Cohen - Cultural and Media Studies
- Personal page: Tom Cohen College of Arts and Sciences, University of Albany, State University of New York