Compton at Redskins training camp in 2012.
No. 68 Washington Redskins
|Date of birth:May 10, 1989|
|Place of birth: Rosemount, Minnesota|
|High school: Rosemount (MN)|
|College: South Dakota|
|NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 6 / Pick: 193|
|Debuted in 2013 for the Washington Redskins|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 16, 2014
Tom Compton (born May 10, 1989) is an American football offensive tackle for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at the University of South Dakota. He was drafted in the sixth round, with the 193rd overall pick, by the Redskins in the 2012 NFL Draft.
High school career
At South Dakota, Compton was a three-time Great West Conference selection—honorable mention in 2009 and consecutive first team selections in 2010, 2011—and 2011 GWC Offensive Lineman of the Year. After his senior season, he played at the 2012 East–West Shrine Game.
2012 NFL Combine
Compton was invited to the 2012 NFL Combine, where he was listed as the No. 9 offensive tackle prospect. Projected as a fourth round selection by Sports Illustrated, Compton was ranked as the No. 8 offensive tackle available in the 2012 NFL Draft.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5 in||314 lb||34 in||10 in||5.11 s||4.60 s||7.59 s||30.0 in||9 ft 0 in||20 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Compton was drafted in the sixth round of 2012 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins. He was the first South Dakota Coyote drafted since Chul Schwanke in 1986. He was officially signed by the Redskins to a four-year contract on May 6, 2012. Compton was cut on August 31, 2012 for final cuts before the start of the 2012 season. After not being claimed off waivers, he was signed to the team's practice squad the next day.
On December 5, 2012, it was announced that Compton had been promoted to the Redskins 53-man roster after the Redskins placed cornerback Cedric Griffin on the Reserve/Suspension list. He became the starting right tackle mid-way through the 2014 season, after the incumbent Tyler Polumbus was benched following poor performance.
- "View Draft by Positions". CNN.
- NFL Combine Profile
- Fitzgerald, Gary (April 28, 2012). "Redskins Focus On Depth In Late Rounds". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- Jones, Mike (May 6, 2012). "Redskins sign two more draft picks". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- Jones, Mike (August 31, 2012). "Redskins’ cutdown day begins". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- Jones, Mike (September 1, 2012). "Redskins add CB Crezdon Butler to round out 53-man roster". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- Jones, Mike (December 5, 2012). "Redskins promote rookie T Tom Compton to 53-man roster". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- Keim, John (October 24, 2014). "Tom Compton in, Tyler Polumbus out at RT". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2014-12-23.
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com • ESPN • Pro-Football-Reference
- Washington Redskins bio
- South Dakota Coyotes bio