|Born||May 14, 1982|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||204.5 lb (92.8 kg; 14.61 st)|
|Reach||73.0 in (185 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Forked River, New Jersey|
|Team||Ricardo Almeida Jiu Jitsu|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Tom DeBlass (born May 14, 1982) is an American mixed martial artist and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioner. Tom is currently competing in the middleweight division for Bellator, He has also competed in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Tom was a County Champion Long Jumper in High School graduating from Central Regional High School in 2000. He went on to Graduate Monmouth University in 2004 with a degree in Special Education and Elementary Education. Tom DeBlass was known primarily as a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu competitor winning such titles as Pan American and World Championships. He then fought Professionally in Ring Of Combat. In only a year and a half DeBlass captured two titles and got called up to fight in the UFC. DeBlass opened his own Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy, in 2006, Ocean County Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. His Academy host's 300 students. He has produced his own World Champion student's, such as Garry Tonon, Tom's first student is scheduled to compete in ADCC, October 20th, taking place in China.
Mixed martial arts career
Ultimate Fighting Championship
After winning seven straight fights DeBlass was signed by the UFC and made his debut against Cyrille Diabate on one weeks notice at UFC on Fuel TV: Gustafsson vs. Silva and lost by Majority Decision.
DeBlass announced his retirement from MMA after the bout with Fukuda stating “After a lot of talk with my family and coaches, “I have decided to retire from fighting and focus on my family, my academy and helping my students to achieve their goals”, At this time, I feel it's best for me to give my time to others and spend more time with my family”, “The drive to keep fighting is not there any longer. I have an amazing academy and feel my students need my full attention.”
Bellator Fighting Championships
DeBlass returned from his short-lived retirement and made his Bellator debut against Carlos Brooks at Bellator 95 and won by TKO at the end of the second round after the doctor decided that Brooks could not continue.
DeBlass was scheduled to face former IFL Light Heavyweight Champion Vladimir Matyushenko at Bellator 108 on November 15, 2013. However Matyushenko was forced out of the bout due to a broken hand. DeBlass instead fought fellow UFC veteran Jason Lambert at the event. He won the fight via knockout in the first round.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ring of Combat
- ROC Heavyweight Championship (one time)
- ROC Light Heavyweight Championship (one time)
- First person in NJ to win an Adult Black Belt Pan American title
- Second person in NJ history to win ADCC North American Trials
- 2007 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu National Champion
- 2007 World Championships Mundials 3rd place Brown Belt
- 2007 No Gi World Champion Brown Belt
- 2008 Pan American Champion Brown Belt
- 2009 Abu Dhabi North American Trial Champion
- 2009 Abu Dhabi Combat Club Veteran
- 2009 Bronze Medalist No Gi World Champion Black Belt
- 2013 Grapplers Quest National Champ
- 2013 No Gi Pan American Black Belt Ultra Heavy Champion
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|11 matches||9 wins||2 losses|
|Win||9–2||Jason Lambert||KO (punch)||Bellator 108||November 15, 2013||1||1:45||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Light Heavyweight bout|
|Win||8–2||Carlos Brooks||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Bellator 95||April 4, 2013||2||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Catchweight (188 lbs)|
|Loss||7–2||Riki Fukuda||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Franklin vs. Le||November 10, 2012||3||5:00||Cotai, Macau||Middleweight debut|
|Loss||7–1||Cyrille Diabate||Decision (majority)||UFC on Fuel TV: Gustafsson vs. Silva||April 14, 2012||3||5:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||7–0||Randy Smith||Submission (heel hook)||Ring of Combat 39||February 10, 2012||1||0:41||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||6–0||David Tkeshelashvili||Decision (unanimous)||Ring of Combat 38||November 18, 2011||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||5–0||Mike Stewart||TKO (punches)||Ring of Combat 37||September 9, 2011||1||3:07||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||4–0||Sean Salmon||Submission (achilles lock)||Ring of Combat 35||April 8, 2011||1||0:57||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||3–0||Mitch Whitesel||Decision (Unanimous)||Ring of Combat 33||December 3, 2010||3||4:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||2–0||Tom Velasquez||TKO (punches)||Ring of Combat 31||September 24, 2010||2||0:50||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||1–0||J.A. Dudley||Decision (unanimous)||Ring of Combat 30||June 11, 2010||2||4:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
- "Ocean County BJJ Instructors". Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- "Tom DeBlass Steps In to Face Cyrille Diabate at UFC on Fuel 2 in Sweden". mmaweekly.com. April 3, 2012.
- "Tom DeBlass meets middleweight Riki Fukuda at UFC on FUEL TV 6". mmajunkie.com. August 22, 2012.
- "UFC Middleweight Tom Deblass Announces Retirement From MMA After Loss To Riki Fukuda". sherdog.com. November 14, 2012.
- "Vladimir Matyushenko, already booked for Bellator 99, reportedly fights Tom DeBlass at Bellator 108". bloodyelbow.com. August 8, 2013.
- "With Matyushenko injured, DeBlass and Lambert verbally agree to meet at Bellator 108". mmadiehards.com. September 27, 2013.
- "WORLD JIU-JITSU CHAMPIONSHIP 2007 – RESULTS". Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- "WORLD JIU-JITSU NO-GI CHAMPIONSHIP 2007 – RESULTS". Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- "PAN JIU-JITSU CHAMPIONSHIP 2008 – RESULTS". Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- "WORLD JIU-JITSU NO-GI CHAMPIONSHIP 2009 – RESULTS". Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- "Pan Jiu-Jitsu No-Gi Championship * 2013 No Gi Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championship Bronze medal Super Heavy Black Belt Adult 2013". Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- "Tom DeBlass Profile". brlsports.com. Retrieved October 7, 2013.