Tom Ellis (actor)
17 November 1978
|Spouse(s)||Tamzin Outhwaite (2006–2013)|
Tom Ellis (born 17 November 1978 in Bangor, Wales) is a Welsh actor best known for playing Dr. Oliver Cousins in the BBC soap opera EastEnders and Detective Sergeant Sam Speed in a Life on Mars parody on the The Catherine Tate Show. He was also Sam in the BBC comedy Pulling, and plays Gary in Miranda Hart's BBC2/BBC1 comedy Miranda.
Other notable roles include Justyn in Channel 4's No Angels and Thomas Milligan in the series three finale of British science-fiction television programme Doctor Who. In 2013, he was cast as Victor Frankenstein ("a brilliant doctor who's trying to find a way to bring his late daughter, Anna, back to life") in the ABC pilot series Gothica, a modern-day supernatural drama.
His father, sister and uncle are all church ministers, with his uncle, Robert Ellis being Principal of Regent's Park College, Oxford, which Tom's father Chris also attended. Ellis attended High Storrs School in Sheffield during his education and was a French Horn player in the City of Sheffield Youth Orchestra.
Ellis has been married to actress Tamzin Outhwaite since 2006. On 25 June 2008, she gave birth to Tom's second daughter, Florence Elsie Ellis. He has another daughter, Nora Ellis, from a previous relationship. Ellis and Outhwaite were the winners of ITV charity gameshow All Star Mr & Mrs Christmas Special on 20 December 2008. On 19 March 2012, Ellis announced via his Twitter account that Outhwaite was pregnant with their second child together; their daughter Marnie Mae Ellis was born 2 August 2012. It was announced on 29 August 2013 that Ellis and Outhwaite were separating. Their spokesperson stated "Tamzin Outhwaite and Tom Ellis are sad to confirm they have separated. They continue to support each other as parents and will remain friends. They ask for sensitivity at this difficult time." The following month, Outhwaite filed for divorce, citing Ellis' infidelity as the grounds for dissolution of the marriage.
Filmography & Television
- The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby – John Browdie (2001)
- Nice Guy Eddie (TV series) – Frank Bennett (2001–2002)
- High Heels and Low Lifes – Police Officer (2001)
- Buffalo Soldiers – Squash (2001)
- Pollyanna – Timothy (2003)
- I'll Be There – Ivor (2003)
- Messiah III: The Promise – Dr. Phillip Ryder
- Vera Drake – Police Officer (2004)
- Much Ado About Nothing – Claude (2005)
- Midsomer Murders – Midsomer Rhapsody – Lee Smeeton (2005)
- Waking the Dead – Harry Taylor (2005)
- No Angels – Justyn (2005–2006)
- EastEnders – Dr. Oliver Cousins (2006)
- The Catherine Tate Show – Detective Sergeant Sam Speed (2006)
- Suburban Shootout – P.C. Haines (2007)
- Doctor Who – Tom Milligan (2007)
- The Catherine Tate Christmas Show – Detective Sergeant Sam Speed (2007)
- Trial & Retribution
- Miss Conception – Zak (2008)
- The Passion, 2008
- Monday Monday – Steven (2009)
- Miranda – Gary Preston (2009–14)
- Dappers (TV series) (2010)
- Merlin – King Cenred (2010)
- Accused – Neil (2010)
- The Fades – Mark Etches (2011)
- Sugartown – Max Burr (2011)
- Gates — Mark Pearson (2012)
- The Secret of Crickley Hall - Gabe Caleigh (2012)
- Once Upon a Time - Robin Hood (2013)
- I Love My Country - Himself (2013)
- Miranda's Tom Ellis to play Frankenstein in US pilot Gothica Radio Times. 22 February 2013.
- Hibberd, James (February 22, 2013). "Hollywood Insider: What's Going on Behind the Scenes: TV's Pilot Season Goes (Very) High-Concept". Entertainment Weekly (New York: Time Inc.): 26.
- "Gothica (TV 2013)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved March 18, 2013.
- "BBC Website on Miranda".
- Kelby McNally. "Tamzin Outhwaite 'files for divorce from Tom Ellis, citing adultery'", Express, 10 September 2013.
- (No author.) "Tamzin Outhwaite 'Divorcing' Tom Ellis After He Reportedly Admits Cheating With One-Night Stand", Huffington Post UK, 9 October 2013.
- Kelby McNally. "'We're all moving forward' Tom Ellis speaks out about Tamzin Outhwaite split", Express, 19 September 2013.
- "Tom Ellis on Twitter".