|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2012)|
Tom Engelhardt is an American writer and editor. He is the creator of the The Nation Institute's tomdispatch.com, an online blog. He is also the co-founder of the American Empire Project and the author of the 1998 book, The End of Victory Culture: Cold War America and the Disillusioning of a Generation.
Engelhardt has been an editor for more than 30 years, working in book and news publishing. He was a senior editor at Pantheon Books where he edited such books as Maus by Art Spiegelman. Currently he is a consulting editor at Metropolitan Books. He also teaches at the Graduate School of Journalism at the University of California, Berkeley, where he is a teaching fellow. He once described the editing process as:
...more like a craft, that's right, because there isn't as much of a preset pattern for it. There's a word I often think about because it's such a negative in our society, which is 'used.' You say a 'used' car—something previously owned and not particularly good, or 'I've been used, I've been exploited.' But the most beautiful feeling about editing for an editor is that feeling of being used and subsumed.
Engelhardt created TomDispatch in November 2001, and in 2002, it received support from The Nation Institute. Engelhardt has described the site as the "sideline that ate his life." Contributors to TomDispatch have included Rebecca Solnit, Bill McKibben, Jonathan Schell, Fatima Bhutto, and Nick Turse.
Engelhardt has written numerous articles and several books including The American Way of War: How Bush's Wars Became Obama's.
- The End of Victory Culture: Cold War America and the Disillusioning of a Generation (Basic Books, 1995)
- The World According to Tomdispatch: America In The New Age of Empire (Verso, 2008)
- The American Way of War: How Bush's Wars Became Obama's (Haymarket, 2010)
- The United States of Fear (Haymarket, 2011)
- Engelhardt, Tom (15 September 2005). "The reconstruction of New Oraq". Asia Times.
- Nick Turse. " The Pivot to Africa:The Startling Size, Scope, and Growth of U.S. Military Operations on the African Continent ", TomDispatch.com, September 5, 2013. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- Tom Engelhardt on "The American Way of War: How Bush’s Wars Became Obama’s" - video report by Democracy Now!
- Tom Engelhardt is interviewed by Bill Moyers on the 2012 election
- Appearances on C-SPAN