||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (January 2015)|
|Shadow Minister for Energy|
8 October 2011
|Member of Parliament
for Rutherglen and Hamilton West
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Tommy McAvoy|
30 September 1974 |
Ashford, Kent, England
|Political party||Labour Co-operative|
|Alma mater||London School of Economics|
Thomas James Greatrex (born 30 September 1974) is a British Labour Co-operative politician, who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Rutherglen and Hamilton West since 2010  and the Shadow Energy Minister since 2011.
Greatrex was born in Kent. Brought up in Ashford, he attended The Judd School between 1986 and 1993, before studying Economics, Government and Law at the London School of Economics, graduating in 1996.
Greatrex worked as a researcher to Opposition Chief Whip Donald Dewar, prior to the 1997 General Election, remaining in the role after Nick Brown took over as Chief Whip, later moving with him to the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food in 1998. He left this role in 1999 to work as a GMB Union official for five years. He moved to Scotland in 2004 to take on a role as a chief officer at East Dunbartonshire Council then worked as Director of Corporate Affairs for NHS 24 between 2006 and 2007. He latterly worked as a policy adviser for Scottish Secretaries Douglas Alexander, Des Browne and Jim Murphy.
Greatrex is a fierce and outspoken critic of the firm Atos, who conduct Work Capability Assessments of disabled people on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions. On 17 May 2013, he gave an interview to the BBC about allegations made by a doctor employed by Atos that the tests are unfair and 'skewed against the claimant'. In addition, he wrote in a letter to the Prime Minister that these were "serious and shocking allegations which must be urgently looked at".
- Who's Who. Ukwhoswho.com. Retrieved on 27 August 2011.
- House of Commons Hansard Debates for 20 May 2010 (pt 0001). Publications.parliament.uk (20 May 2010). Retrieved on 27 August 2011.
- Labour holds Rutherglen and Hamilton West, BBC News, 7 May 2010
- About Tom Greatrex. Votetomgreatrex.org.uk (11 March 2011). Retrieved on 27 August 2011.
- Labour members choose Greatrex to stand at election, Rutherglen Reformer, 24 March 2010
- BBC News interview with Tom Greatrex. 17 May 2013
- Atos Victims Group. Serious Allegations against Atos should be investigated. 20 May 2013
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Rutherglen & Hamilton West