Tom Kitt (musician)
Thomas Robert "Tom" Kitt (born 1974) is an American composer, conductor, orchestrator and musician. For his score for the musical Next to Normal, he shared the 2010 Pulitzer Prize for Drama with Brian Yorkey. He also won the Tony Award and 2008 Outer Critics Circle Award, and was nominated for a Drama Desk Award for American Idiot and Everyday Rapture.
Kitt attended Byram Hills High School in Armonk, New York, where he participated in various theatrical productions. He graduated in 1992. He then attended Columbia College, New York City, graduating with a degree in economics in 1996. During his time at Columbia, Kitt was also a member of the Columbia Kingsmen.
He met Brian Yorkey while they were both students at Columbia University, and they attended the BMI Lehman Engel Musical Theater Workshop as a team. He won the 2008 Outer Critics Circle Award, Outstanding New Score, and was nominated for the Drama Desk Award, Outstanding Music; and Tony Awards for Best Original Score Written for the Theatre and Best Orchestrations, all for his rock score to Next to Normal. He also shared the 2010 Pulitzer Prize for Drama with Brian Yorkey for Next to Normal. The Pulitzer Board called it "a powerful rock musical that grapples with mental illness in a suburban family and expands the scope of subject matter for musicals."
Kitt has also been a music director and conductor on Broadway since 2002, beginning with the musical Debbie Does Dallas: The Musical. He was the music supervisor for the Sherie Rene Scott musical Everyday Rapture, which ran at Second Stage Theatre in 2009. He is the music supervisor, orchestrator and music arranger for the musical American Idiot, which opened on Broadway in March 2010.
He composed the score for the Public Theater Shakespeare in the Park (New York City) production of The Winter's Tale, which ran in July 2010. The New York Times reviewer wrote that "His score is a triumph of the less-is-more approach to incidental music."
His new musical, Bring It On, a musical adaption of the film, was a collaboration with Lin-Manuel Miranda, Amanda Green and playwright Jeff Whitty. The musical premiered at the Alliance Theatre, Atlanta, running from January 15, 2011 to February 20, 2011.
Kitt has performed his own songs in a one-man show at various venues such as the Bitter End in New York. He is the founder of The Tom Kitt Band, in which he plays piano. The band's first album is Find Me. Kitt also contributed in 2006 to Julia Murney's self-titled debut album, I'm Not Waiting, for which he co-wrote the song Perfect.
In August 2010, Brian Yorkey and Kitt's musical In Your Eyes was workshopped at the Village Theatre's Festival of New Musicals in Issaquah, Washington (they also workshopped Feeling Electric there as well). The show is about "The students of Lakeshore High School are sent into a full-blown lock down (not to mention a flood of animosity, fear, and insecurity) when a plot of gun violence is suspected. As a group of unsupervised students attempts to make sense of the chaos, they end up learning more about themselves and their classmates—from the troubled rocker spitting lyrics, to the sarcastic fashionista pointing fingers from her pedestal."
In 2012, he worked on arranging strings sections for Green Day's album trilogy Uno, Dos and Tre.
He worked with Brian Yorkey on a new musical titled If/Then which was workshopped in 2013 in New York City with Idina Menzel in the lead role. Following the workshop, the show had an out-of-town tryout at Washington D.C.'s National Theatre, from November 5 to December 8, 2013. It opened on Broadway at the Richard Rogers Theatre on March 4, 2014 in previews, officially on March 30, 2014. The show is directed by Michael Greif, produced by David Stone, and stars Menzel, LaChanze and Anthony Rapp. The choreography is by Larry Keigwin, sets are by Mark Wendland, and costumes by Emily Rebholz.
- High Fidelity (2006)
- From Up Here (2008, Manhattan Theatre Club)
- Next to Normal (2008)
- The Winter's Tale (2010), incidental music 
- Bring It On (2011); music also by Lin-Manuel Miranda
- Orphans (2013) 
- If/Then (2013)
Work as arranger, orchestrator, music director
- Debbie Does Dallas: The Musical (2002)
- Urban Cowboy (2003)
- Mario Cantone: Laugh Whore (2004)
- 13 (2008)
- Keys: The Music of Scott Alan (2008)
- 21st Century Breakdown, Green Day (2009)
- Everyday Rapture (2009, Second Stage Theatre, and 2010, Broadway)
- American Idiot: The Musical (2009, Berkeley Rep; 2010, Broadway)
- ¡Uno!, Green Day (2012)
- ¡Tre!, Green Day (2012)
- Lascala, Marisa (July 20, 2010). "Tom Kitt's Big Year". Westchester Magazine. Retrieved July 29, 2010.
- Shuster, Yelena. "Composer Tom Kitt ’96 brings book, film hit High Fidelity to Broadway" college.columbia.edu, November–December 2006
- Playbill biography www.playbill.com, accessed February 19, 2009
- Gans, Andrew. "South Pacific Is Big Winner in Outer Critics Circle Awards" playbill.com, May 12, 2008
- Gans, Andrew and Jones, Kenneth.Nominations for 2009 Tony Awards Announced; Billy Elliot Earns 15 Nominations," playbill.com, May 5, 2009
- Hetrick, Adam. "Next to Normal Wins 2010 Pulitzer Prize for Drama". Playbill.com, April 12, 2010
- Hernandez, Ernio. "Everyday Rapture, Starring Sherie Rene Scott, Opens Off-Broadway," playbill.com, May 3, 2009
- Jones, Kenneth. American Idiot Will Rock Broadway's St. James Starting March 24". playbill.com, January 5, 2010
- Tommasini, Anthony."Musical Spells Cast in Theatrical Margins"The New York Times, July 19, 2010
- Staff." 'Bring It On' Musical from Kitt, Miranda, Whitty & Green to Premiere at Atlanta's Alliance Theatre" broadway.com, February 26, 2010
- Listing alliancetheatre.org
- Wong, Wayman. "The Leading Men". playbill.com, May 1, 2003
- Ehren, Christine. NYC's Sh-k-Boom Room Sees Tom Kitt and God March 15". Playbill.com, March 15, 2001
- Gans, Andrew. "Ives, Kitt, Pen and Wilson Win Dramatists Guild of America Awards". playbill.com, July 20, 2009
- Hetrick, Adam.Brian Yorkey-Tom Kitt Musical In Your Eyes Set for Village Originals Series" playbill.com, August 2, 2010
- Hetrick, Adam. "Miguel Cervantes, Curtis Holbrook, Ryann Redmond Join Broadway's 'If/Then'; Complete Cast and Creative Team Announced" playbill.com, August 27, 2013
- Staff. "The Verdict: Critics Review New Broadway Musical 'If/Then', Starring Idina Menzel" playbill.com, March 30, 2014
- "Top Stories" eonline.com
- Staff."'Next to Normal' Composer Tom Kitt and Wife Rita Welcome Baby Girl" broadway.com, April 23, 2009
- Jones, Kenneth.Tony Winner Julie White Stars in Flahive's From Up Here in NYC," playbill.com, March 27, 2008
- Tom Kitt at the Internet Broadway Database
- Tom Kitt at the Internet Off-Broadway Database
- Tom Kitt Band Official Site
- Tom Kitt Interview
- Tom Kitt at Library of Congress Authorities, with 5 catalog records