Tom Lee Music
Tom Lee Music's logo
|Trading name||Tom Lee Music Co. Ltd.|
|Type||music instrumentals retailer, music school, art and music events box office (Urban Ticketing System "URBTIX" with Leisure and Cultural Services Department, Government of Hong Kong)|
|Industry||retail, music education, stage sound engineering|
|Founded||Hong Kong (1953)|
|Headquarters||11th Floor, Silvercord Tower 1, 30 Canton Road, Tsimshatsui, Hong Kong (Head Office)|
|Number of locations||22 stores in Hong Kong
10 stores in Canada
1 in Macau
|Area served||Hong Kong (since 1953), Canada (since 1969)|
|Key people||Henry Lee (Vice President)|
|Subsidiaries||Tom Lee Music Foundation, Tom Lee Music Academy|
Tom Lee Music is the largest musical instrument retailers in Hong Kong. As of 2012, it operates 22 stores in Hong Kong and 10 stores in Canada. Founded in 1953 by Thomas Tse-ven Lee, it obtained Yamaha musical instruments' exclusive distribution rights for the Hong Kong market in 1960 and operated as their sole distributor in the territory ever since.
Apart from musical instruments and music publications for classical music and pop music, Tom Lee Music also sells professional recording equipment.
Instrument repair and maintenance service
Tom Lee Music in Hong Kong offers repair and maintenance services for various musical instruments including and audio products. Their service received ISO 9001:2008 QMS certificate in 2009.
Recording studio and concert hall
Tom Lee Music Foundation was formed in 1977 (non-profit-making) to promote music through education and events for general public. They run various classical, pop music and group lessons such as the Yamaha Music Program.
In Hong Kong, Tom Lee Music run annual music events including YAMAHA Asian Beat Band Competition and Soundbase acoustic band competition, "Music Carnival" at Tsim Sha Tsui waterfront and various piano competitions and music instruments workshops.
Tom Lee Music Canada was incorporated in 1969. Its main showroom is located in the Tom Lee Music Building, a renovated 6 storey, 75,000 sq ft (7,000 m2), century old historical building at 929 Granville Street, one block south of Robson Street and the Canada Line SkyTrain (Vancouver City Centre) station, in the heart of Downtown Vancouver. Today it operates 8 locations throughout British Columbia, Canada.
Products and services
- Pianos and Digital Pianos
- Electronic Keyboards
- Acoustic and Electric Guitars/Bass Guitars
- Guitar Effects Pedals
- Acoustic and Electric Percussion
- Orchestral Instruments and Accessories
- Folk Instruments and Accessories
- DJ equipment
- Professional Audio Editing Software and Equipment
- Print and Sheet Music
- Instrument rentals
- Audio System rentals
- Music Lessons
- Band Instrument Repair
- "URBTIX Counter Booking Outlets". Hong Kong Government. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "通利創辦人". Apple Daily (in Chinese) (Hong Kong: nextmedia.com). 2012-11-13. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "Quality Tourism Services Scheme accredited merchant - Tom Lee Music". Hong Kong Tourism Board. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "Tom Lee Music Store Locations". Tom Lee Music Hong Kong. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "Store Locations & Hours". Tom Lee Music Canada. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "命運安排 創立樂器王國緣於「俾人呃」". Apple Daily (in Chinese) (Hong Kong: nextmedia.com). 2012-11-13. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "Awards for the quiet founder of Tom Lee Music". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 2012-11-13.