Tom Lewis (golfer)
|— Golfer —|
5 January 1991 |
Welwyn Garden City, England
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||165 lb (75 kg; 11.8 st)|
|Residence||Welwyn Garden City, England|
|Current tour(s)||European Tour|
|Number of wins by tour|
|Best results in major championships
|U.S. Open||CUT: 2014|
|The Open Championship||T30: 2011|
|Achievements and awards|
|Sir Henry Cotton
Rookie of the Year
In 2009, Lewis won the Boys Amateur Championship at Royal St George's. In 2010, he lost to Peter O'Malley in a playoff for the New South Wales Open, and then tied for 12th place at the Australian Open. This was followed by victory on the Old Course at St Andrews in the 2011 St Andrews Links Trophy.
Lewis qualified for the 2011 Open Championship at Royal St George's via Local Final Qualifying at Rye. In the first round he shot a five-under-par 65, giving him a share of the lead alongside Thomas Bjørn. This was the lowest single-round score by an amateur in Open Championship history, and the equal lowest in any major championship. It made him the first amateur to lead a major after a round since Mike Reid in the 1976 U.S. Open and the first amateur to lead the Open Championship since Michael Bonallack in 1968. One of Lewis's first-round partners was Tom Watson, after whom he is named. Lewis finished tied for 30th place and as the low amateur, he won the Silver Medal.
Lewis turned professional after the 2011 Walker Cup. He made his professional debut at the Austrian Golf Open in September 2011, shooting a two-over-par 74 in the first round. He recovered to finish in a tie for tenth.
His maiden professional win came at the Portugal Masters on the European Tour in October 2011, shooting rounds of 70, 64, 68, and 65 to finish two shots clear of the field. It was his third professional start. In December 2011 he was crowned the European Tour's Sir Henry Cotton Rookie of the Year.
this list may be incomplete
Professional wins (1)
European Tour wins (1)
|No.||Date||Tournament||Winning Score||Margin of Victory||Runner-up|
|1||16 Oct 2011||Portugal Masters||-21 (70-64-68-65=267)||2 strokes||Rafael Cabrera-Bello|
Results in major championships
|The Open Championship||T30LA||DNP||DNP||DNP|
LA = Low Amateur
DNP = did not play
CUT = missed the half way cut
"T" indicates a tie for a place.
Yellow background for top-10.
- Jacques Léglise Trophy (representing Great Britain & Ireland): 2008 (winners), 2009 (winners)
- Eisenhower Trophy (representing England): 2010
- St Andrews Trophy (representing Great Britain & Ireland): 2010
- Walker Cup (representing Great Britain & Ireland): 2011 (winners)
- "R&A confirms Great Britain and Ireland team for 2010 St Andrews Trophy match". The R&A. 18 August 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "The Open 2011: Tom Lewis upstages his father's idol, Tom Watson". The Guardian. 14 July 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "Australian Open". Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "Tom Lewis follows footsteps of Nick Faldo with St Andrews win". The Scotsman. 6 June 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "The Open 2011: British amateur Tom Lewis shares lead at Royal St George's with Thomas Bjorn". The Telegraph. 14 July 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "Tom Lewis And Thomas Bjorn Are Tied For The Lead Of The British Open". 14 July 2011. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "The Open 2011: Amateur Tom Lewis shares lead with Bjorn". BBC. 14 July 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "The Open 2011: Tom Lewis wins Silver Medal at Sandwich". BBC Sport. 17 July 2011. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- "England's Tom Lewis turns pro". ESPN. Associated Press. 16 September 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- "Open star Tom Lewis suffers debut despair as he shoots 74 at Austrian Open". Daily Telegraph. 21 September 2011. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- "Lewis lands fairytale victory". European Tour. 16 October 2011. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "Open star Tom Lewis wins rookie prize". BBC Sport. 19 December 2011. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- Tom Lewis at the European Tour official site
- Tom Lewis at the Official World Golf Ranking official site
- Profile at ESPN