Tom McDermott (engineer)
|Institutions||Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Institute of Technology, Lockheed Martin|
|Alma mater||Georgia Institute of Technology|
|Known for||Systems engineering|
Tom McDermott is the Deputy Director and Director of Research at the Georgia Tech Research Institute, a position he has held since 2007.
Early life and education
McDermott attended the Georgia Institute of Technology, where he received a Bachelor of Science in Physics in 1982, and a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering in 1984. While at Georgia Tech, he played drums in the Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket Marching Band.
On graduation, McDermott joined the nearby Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Systems in Marietta, Georgia where he would eventually be Chief Engineer and Program Manager for Lockheed Martin’s F-22 Raptor Avionics Team. McDermott worked for Lockheed Martin from 1984 to 2002.
In 2002, McDermott would join the Georgia Tech Research Institute's Electronic Systems Laboratory, where he assumed control of their largest contract, the C-130 Avionics Modernization Program (AMP). In 2006, McDermott was promoted to Director of the Electronic Systems Laboratory.
While at Georgia Tech, McDermott has been involved in the creation of a new professional master’s degree program in systems engineering, a collaboration between GTRI and the College of Engineering. He teaches short courses on topics including electronic warfare principles, systems engineering team leadership, and earned value principles.
In September 2007, McDermott was named Deputy Director and Director of Research, where he oversaw GTRI's research agenda, its seven research labs, field offices, and new operations in Athlone, Ireland. He was Interim Director of GTRI between Stephen E. Cross's start as Executive Vice President for Research on May 1, 2010 and the placement of current GTRI director Robert McGrath on February 1, 2011.
- "Tom McDermott". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- "Computer Architectures for Defense: Tom McDermott Named Director of GTRI's Electronic Systems Laboratory (ELSYS)". Georgia Institute of Technology. 2006-11-27. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- "People". Avionics Magazine. 2007-02-01. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- "Tom McDermott Named GTRI Deputy Director and Director of Research". Georgia Tech Research Institute. 2007-09-24. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- Hagearty, Michael (2010-03-19). "Cross Named Executive Vice President for Research" (Press release). Georgia Institute of Technology. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- "Tom McDermott Named Interim Director of the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI)". Georgia Tech Research Institute. Retrieved 2011-07-15.