Tom Morris (director)
Richard Thomas "Tom" Morris (born 22 June 1964 in Stamford, Lincolnshire) is an English theatre director, writer and producer. He was the Associate Director at the National Theatre in London, before taking over as Artistic Director of the Bristol Old Vic theatre in 2009.
Early life and education
Morris was born in 1964. He is the younger brother of satirist Chris Morris. He was educated at Stonyhurst College, a Jesuit boys' boarding independent school in Lancashire in north west England, and then read English Literature at Pembroke College at the University of Cambridge from 1983 to 1986.
From 1988 to 1994, Morris worked in broadcasting and journalism, as a critic and feature-writer for The Times Literary Supplement, The Independent, The Sunday Times, The Daily Telegraph, The Guardian and The Observer, and appeared on BBC television and radio programmes Kaleidoscope, Night Waves and The Late Show. Morris was Artistic Director of Battersea Arts Centre (BAC) before taking up his post at the National Theatre in 2004. In September 2009 Morris took over as Artistic Director of the Bristol Old Vic theatre. Here he oversaw a £20 million renovation of the building, as well as producing and directing new productions.
As well as directing many theatrical productions, Morris has directed and produced several operas., including The Death of Klinghoffer for the English National Opera in 2011 and for the Metropolitan Opera, New York, in 2014.
One interviewer said of Morris: "His tastes are catholic, and frequently risky, but they can produce some of the most inspired, inventive theatre in Britain today."
- 1999: Macbeth, director, BAC
- 2001: Jerry Springer: The Opera, producer, BAC
- 2005: Coram Boy, producer, National Theatre, Olivier
- 2007: A Matter of Life and Death, writer and adaptor, National Theatre, Olivier
- 2007–2011: War Horse, co-director and producer, National Theatre, Olivier; transferring to West End and Broadway.
- Richard Thomas Morris, companycheck.co.uk
- Richard T Morris, findmypast.co.uk
- Powell, Lucy (2010-02-22). "Tom Morris, the brother with the brass neck". The Times (London). Retrieved 2011-06-14.
- "Tom Morris – Writer/Director/Producer". United Agents. Retrieved 2011-06-14.
- Davis, Serena (2010-03-16). "Tom Morris interview". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 2011-06-14.
- The Death of Klinghoffer, Metropolitan Opera production team
- "Winners List – All Categories". Tony Awards. Retrieved 14 June 2011.