Tom Murphy (catcher)
April 3, 1991 |
West Monroe, New York
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
Thomas James Murphy, Jr. (born April 3, 1991) is an American professional baseball player. He plays in minor league baseball for the Colorado Rockies organization. Prior to playing professionally, Murphy played college baseball for the University at Buffalo.
Murphy attended Paul V. Moore High School in Central Square, New York, where he played for the school's baseball team. He had a .510 batting average in his senior year, and was honored as All-Central New York (CNY) and the CNY Athlete of the Year.
Murphy then enrolled at the University at Buffalo. He played college baseball for the Buffalo Bulls baseball team. In 2011, he was named the Mid-American Conference Player of the Year after leading the conference with a .384 batting average. That summer, he played for the Holyoke Blue Sox of the New England Collegiate Baseball League (NECBL), and hit a home run over the Green Monster at Fenway Park against the United States national baseball team in the NECBL All-Star Game.
The Colorado Rockies selected Murphy in the third round, with the 105th overall selection, of the 2012 MLB Draft. In 2012, he played for the Tri-City Dust Devils of the Class A-Short Season Northwest League, and in 2013, he plays for the Asheville Tourists of the Class A South Atlantic League (SAL), where he was named SAL Hitter of the Week for the week of April 29 through May 5, 2013. He received a midseason promotion to the Tulsa Drillers of the Class AA Texas League.
- "Oswego County Weeklies". Oswego County Weeklies. October 17, 2011. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- "UB's Murphy wins top honor in MAC baseball - Sports". The Buffalo News. May 28, 2011. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- King, Tom. "Tom Murphy of Holyoke Blue Sox blasts one over the Green Monster as Team NECBL downs Team USA". masslive.com. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- "Murphy of UB drafted by Rockies - Sports". The Buffalo News. June 6, 2012. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- Ballew, Bill. "SAL notes: Rox's Murphy embraces role | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Milb.com. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- Lee, David (May 11, 2013). "Asheville catcher Tom Murphy makes organization look good | The Augusta Chronicle". Chronicle.augusta.com. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- Dykstra, Sam (2013-01-01). "Butler, Herrera break out for Rockies | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Milb.com. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference (Minors)