Tom Patterson (theatre producer)
June 11, 1920|
|Died||February 23, 2005
Harry Thomas "Tom" Patterson, OC, O.Ont (June 11, 1920 – February 23, 2005) was a Stratford, Ontario born journalist who went on to found the Stratford Festival of Canada, the largest theatre festival in Canada.
Patterson was a veteran of World War II and a journalist writing for Maclean's magazine in 1953. From the time that he was a teenager, he had thought that his home town of Stratford, Ontario should be home to performances of Shakespeare's plays. The town was suffering from industrial decline due to the declining fortunes of the rail industry. Patterson, with no experience of the theatre, proposed the idea of a theatre festival. He persuaded the town council to back it, an enthusiastic committee of local citizens to organize it, and most importantly well-known Shakespearean director Tyrone Guthrie to run things. Alec Guinness was persuaded to perform the first year, and the festival has never looked back.
Patterson served as the festival's general manager during the first season and worked in other capacities until 1967. He also founded the touring company Canadian Players with actor Douglas Campbell and took part in the establishment of a number of cultural institutions, including the Canadian Theatre Centre and the National Theatre School.
Patterson was made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1967 and was also awarded the Order of Ontario. He also received honorary degrees from the University of Toronto and the University of Western Ontario. One of the festival theatres was named after him in 1991, as is one of the islands in the Avon River.
- Tom Patterson. They never rationed courage: Letters home from the war, 1940-1945. Mercury Press. 1995. ISBN 978-1-55128-026-4
- J. Alan B. Somerset. 1991. The Stratford Festival Story, 1st edition. Greenwood Press. ISBN 978-0-313-27804-4
- Tom Patterson. 1987. First Stage. McClelland and Stewart. ISBN 978-0-7710-6949-9
- Martin Hunter. Romancing the Bard: Stratford at Fifty. Dundurn Press. 2001. ISBN 978-1-55002-363-3
- The New York Times - Theater - Tom Patterson, Stratford Festival Founder, Dies at 84
- Stratford Festival founder Tom Patterson dies (CBC)
- Interview with Tom Patterson on the fortieth anniversary of the festival
- WIZE up on what to buy