Tom Payne (actor)
21 December 1982 |
Chelmsford, Essex, England
Thomas "Tom" Payne (born 21 December 1982 in Chelmsford, Essex) is an English actor. He is best known for playing Brett Aspinall in television drama series Waterloo Road from January 2007 to March 2008 (throughout series 2 and series 3).
Payne grew up in Bath, Somerset where he attended King Edward's School and was a prolific contributor to the school's Drama Department. He attended the Central School of Speech and Drama, graduating in June 2005. He then appeared in Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day.
In January 2007, he first appeared in Waterloo Road for the BBC, playing sixth former Brett Aspinall. Despite being 24 at the time, Payne portrayed a 17-year-old character. He remained in the series until the end of the following season in March 2008. It was revealed afterwards that he would not be returning for the new season, beginning in January 2009.
In 2009, Payne played George Best in Best: His Mother's Son, a BBC 2 film about the legendary footballer. In the same year he appeared in Marple: They Do It With Mirrors and Wuthering Heights for ITV.
On 8 March 2010 it was announced that Tom had joined the cast of Luck a new pilot for HBO directed by Michael Mann, written by David Milch, starring Dustin Hoffman and Nick Nolte. He plays the role of a Cajun jockey.
His younger brother Will Payne is also an actor.
- The Physician (2013) Rob Cole
- The Inheritance (2012) Matthew
- The Task (2011) Stanton
- Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (2008) Phil Goldman
- Luck (2012) Leon "Bug Boy" Micheaux
- Marple: They Do It with Mirrors (2010) Edgar Lawson
- Beautiful People (2009) Mr Carr
- Wuthering Heights (2009) Linton Heathcliff
- Best: His Mother's Son (2009) George Best
- Miss Marie Lloyd – Queen of The Music Hall (2007) Bernard Dillon
- Skins (2007) Spencer
- Waterloo Road (2007–08) Brett Aspinall
- Casualty (2006) Toby Tyler
- Shrieks of Laughter - Soho Theatre, London (2006) Henry1
- Journey's End - New Ambassadors Theatre, London (2005–06) Ral
- "Payne: Luck no different from UK TV - Showbiz". Kirkintilloch Herald. 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2012-01-27. "British actor Tom Payne has come a long way from his days on Waterloo Road - but he says appearing alongside Hollywood stars feels no different to any other acting job...The 29-year-old, who played Brett Aspinall for two series of Waterloo Road, had to learn to ride for the role of jockey Leon 'Bug Boy' Micheaux in Luck."
- Reynolds, Simon (27 November 2008). "Payne to star as George Best in BBC drama". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2009-04-29.
- Dobson, Patricia (2007-07-12). "UK Stars Of Tomorrow 2007: The Actors (3)". Screendaily.com. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "Four trying their 'Luck' in HBO pilot". The Hollywood Reporter. 2010-10-13. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "Spotlight: TOM PAYNE". Spotlightcd.com. Retrieved 2011-12-08.