|Conference||Big South Conference|
April 5, 1968 |
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Eastern Kentucky (Asst.)
|Head coaching record|
Thomas Anthony "Tom" Riginos (born April 5, 1968) is an American college baseball coach, currently serving as head coach of the Winthrop Eagles baseball team. He was named to that position prior to the 2011 season.
Playing and early coaching career
Riginos played at Stetson, earning four letters and serving as team captain in his senior season of 1990. He stole 61 bases in his college career and helped lead the team to three conference titles and three NCAA Regionals. He spent the 1991 season as an assistant at Countryside High School before earning an assistant coaching position at Eastern Kentucky. While working with the Colonel's hitters and outfielders, he earned a master's degree in Physical Education/Sports Administration. He then worked at Stetson as an assistant and recruiting coordinator. In his time with the Hatters under Pete Dunn, he recruited six future All-Americans and ten Freshman All-Americans.
Clemson and Winthrop
In 2003, Riginos was hired as an assistant to Jack Leggett at Clemson. He again served as hitting coach and later added recruiting coordinator duties. Each of his recruiting classes with the Tigers was ranked highly by Collegiate Baseball, and Clemson's batting average routinely topped .300. The Tigers also ranked highly in home runs and several other offensive categories in Riginos' tenure, and advanced to a pair of College World Series, five Super Regionals, and seven NCAA Regionals in his eight seasons. He was hired as head coach at Winthrop after the 2010 CWS run, and has seen three players sign professional contracts, including a pair of draft picks.
Head coaching record
|Winthrop Eagles (Big South Conference) (2011–present)|
|2013||Winthrop||21–33||8–15||5th (South) (6)|
|2014||Winthrop||27–33||14–13||1st (South) (6)||Big South Tournament|
- "2012 Baseball Coaching Staff". Winthrop Eagles. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Donald J. Boyles (July 30, 2010). "Winthrop Hires Clemson’s Tom Riginos As New Head Baseball Coach". College Baseball Daily. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- "Tom Riginos Named Baseball Assistant Head Coach". Clemson Tigers. July 17, 2002. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- "Winthrop hires Clemson assistant as baseball coach". WPDE. July 30, 2010. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from The Baseball Cube